Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Firepower Ignition Kit...

Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my Firepower Ignition Kit...

Installed my Firepower Ignition kit today! I love these things. I used to have one on my Cherokee and that thing was a blast to drive fast, but it would still have good response on the trail.
My JK finally feels like it has a good balance of power, even with the 37s. I actually spun rubber a few times, because I was so used to having to plow the pedal further to get the pig to move!
I like it.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

No kidding? Modern OEM ignitions are pretty damned good. I'd love to see back-to-back dyno runs. Did you open up the plug gaps?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep! Opened them from .050 to .065... But the coil creates a longer spark duration and multiple fires. The wires make a big difference, too. You could just put on larger wires with less resistance and get a noticable gain. I'm stoked to watch my mileage go up! I'm already able to get an average of 16-19 mpg with overdrive left on, so it should get me over the hump and into the 20s! And that's combined mileage, not just freeway (I don't drive freeway very much).
I'll be producing cleaner emissions and I've already noticed the engine running smoother...

Last edited by Rubidozer; 05-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Crap I should look into putting that on mine..I'm only running 35's but i would like to get alittle more ooomphhhh ouuta it...see ya when you get to Cali Rubidozer
Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Yep! Opened them from .050 to .065... But the coil creates a longer spark duration and multiple fires. The wires make a big difference, too. You could just put on larger wires with less resistance and get a noticable gain. I'm stoked to watch my mileage go up! I'm already able to get an average of 16-19 mpg with overdrive left on, so it should get me over the hump and into the 20s! And that's combined mileage, not just freeway (I don't drive freeway very much).
I'll be producing cleaner emissions and I've already noticed the engine running smoother...
Better performance and gas mileage doesn't necessarily mean cleaner emissions.

Most engines today are not tuned to max mpg because some components of the emissions will go up if they are so tuned. And better performance always results in a heavier foot, canceling out any possible gains toward cleaner emissions.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tslewisz
No kidding? Modern OEM ignitions are pretty damned good. I'd love to see back-to-back dyno runs. Did you open up the plug gaps?
That's what I was thinking. I'm waiting to get my MBRP exhuast in, I would be willing to make this the next upgrade for about $200.00. I wonder if this would work with a tuner for better results?
Way back when this type of upgrade was popular; performance distributor cap, wires and plugs, but you don't hear much about it anymore.
I would like to hear from others that are using this kit.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of HP and torque gains do you think you receive?

Anyone running this with superchips? I think that sounds like a good performance combo...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
What kind of HP and torque gains do you think you receive?

Anyone running this with superchips? I think that sounds like a good performance combo...
X2 on the superchips
I think I may have to try this. So much or not spending money on te jeep for awhile
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me down as skeptical until a dyno pull. I changed my 1972 'Cuda electronic ignition to a MSD coil, wires and 6AL ignition box and hardly noticed a difference. I wouldn't imagine going from a 2009 factory ignition to, basically the same thing would be a tire smoking difference.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2. Put me on the list also. I don't think current stock ignition systems are as bad as those 10-15 years ago.

I hope you are right, but I think there is a wishful thinking component to this mod, just like CAIs.

Quick Reply: Installed my Firepower Ignition Kit...