Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New axles and transfer case. Not sure what to look for. Any advice?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. 2012 2-door planning to stay with 37" or 38" tires. I wanted the strongest axles I could get, that I could use as a DD without adding a shit-ton of weight, and not break the bank having to do it. I went with a PR44u up front and went with a semi-float XD60 for the rear.

I thank the good Lord up top that the cost out of pocket for the PR44u was very minimal. You have a good opportunity to pick up tgoss' PR44u for less (assuming price of shipping makes sense) and you could upgrade to the rear axle with the Super 60 ring gear, stronger carrier & ring bearings, stronger tubes, yet lighter package for the rear if you get the XD60. I can't remember the pricing off the top of my head but seeing you wouldn't have to worry about paying CA sales tax, you could get a tricked out rear SF XD60 for ~ $4800-$5200.

The XD is absolute beef whether it's full-float or semi-float. I opted to get it with the thicker extended length tubes which are still lighter and also stronger than the regular PR60. I went with 4.88 as well.

** edit **
Also if you stick with a 44 up front, you could essentially still use your stock front DS for the time being assuming you kept the stock (or Rubi) transfer case.

Last edited by DJ1; 04-21-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM
DJ1
Former Member

...the main issue with Dynatrac is the 8-10 week leadtime on any new builds lmao....

Old 04-21-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Another option to the atlas is getting a transfer case off a rubicon. It will give you a 4:1 low gear instead of the 2.72:1 you have now and probably save you ~1k over going with an atlas.
I thought, however, that the Atlas uses solid gearing to drive the front drive shaft. The Rubicon uses a chain which is not as strong and can stretch. I could have sworn I saw something about that on an episode of Extreme 4x4.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great info on this thread. Sounds like you were in the same situation we were in right before Moab on our 2 door that we built up. Not to throw another brand at you, but we ended up going with the TF44 for our front replacement. In my opinion (for what its worth), a built 44 in the front is more than strong enough for level 6/7 trails on a 2 door with 37s. You will save $ and weight. We ran Toyo 37s all over Moab during EJS and it performed perfectly.

We ended up going with the following:

Teraflex 44 with 1/2" walls and 4" caster correction
Ten Factory chromoly shafts (built specifically for my application)
4.88s
ARB front and rear
Adams Driveshafts

We were between Dynatrac and Teraflex. I am a huge fan of the ProRock and the TF44, but we were doing our build in a hurry and needed the axle ASAP.

Good luck!

Last edited by Black Dog Offroad; 04-22-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
We are huge fans of Advance Adapters, and we're a distributor. We recommend them for a certain type of customer who doesn't mind getting away from the ease of the OE setup. Often times the cases are very hard to shift until they're broken in, and since they're a big, complicated aftermarket part, they come with aftermarket issues just like everything else. If you're down for that sort of thing then the ability to customize your gearing and the control of the super low gears is epic, but you want to make sure to talk to an expert and do your research before jumping in headlong into this sort of thing.
Can you please elaborate on some of the other aftermarket issues you experience with Atlas cases?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I thought, however, that the Atlas uses solid gearing to drive the front drive shaft. The Rubicon uses a chain which is not as strong and can stretch. I could have sworn I saw something about that on an episode of Extreme 4x4.
The Rubi case is chain driven but its no slouch by any means. I have beaten on my Rubi for years with only one transfer case related issue. I broke the stupid plastic clip that connects the shifter to the case. It is a very reliable case.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had an incredibly busy year so far -- seems a lot of people want the best axles in the business! -- which created some long lead times. But those lead times are starting to shorten now. And the lead time is much shorter for a ProRock 44 housing that doesn't need a locker or gears setup.

Originally Posted by DJ1
...the main issue with Dynatrac is the 8-10 week leadtime on any new builds lmao....

Last edited by Dynatrac; 04-22-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Dog Offroad -- Thanks for considering our axle for your build. In the interest of stemming fake news, we want to clarify that our ProRock 44 axle housings for JKs are stock width and accept stock length axleshafts. The only time the shaft would be different is if a customer ordered a ProRock 44 that uses a conventional locker instead of the Rubicon locker, and we offer US-made high-strength 4340 chromoly 30-spline shaft kits that include 1350 U-joints for these applications. The reasons these are different is that the center pin in a Rubicon locker is slightly offset compared to a conventional locker, but the ProRock 44 housing is still stock width. Hope this clarification helps!

Originally Posted by Black Dog Offroad
Lots of great info on this thread. Sounds like you were in the same situation we were in right before Moab on our 2 door that we built up. Not to throw another brand at you, but we ended up going with the TF44 for our front replacement. In my opinion (for what its worth), a built 44 in the front is more than strong enough for level 6/7 trails on a 2 door with 37s. You will save $ and weight. We ran Toyo 37s all over Moab during EJS and it performed perfectly.

We ended up going with the following:

Teraflex 44 with 1/2" walls and 4" caster correction
Ten Factory chromoly shafts (built for the prorock and the TF44 since they are slightly wider than a dana44)
4.88s
ARB front and rear
Adams Driveshafts

We were between Dynatrac and Teraflex. I am a huge fan of the ProRock and the TF44, but we were doing our build in a hurry and needed the axle ASAP.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Black Dog Offroad -- Thanks for considering our axle for your build. In the interest of stemming fake news, we want to clarify that our ProRock 44 axle housings for JKs are stock width and accept stock length axleshafts. The only time the shaft would be different is if a customer ordered a ProRock 44 that uses a conventional locker instead of the Rubicon locker, and we offer US-made high-strength 4340 chromoly 30-spline shaft kits that include 1350 U-joints for these applications. The reasons these are different is that the center pin in a Rubicon locker is slightly offset compared to a conventional locker, but the ProRock 44 housing is still stock width. Hope this clarification helps!
My intention was not to spread fake news.. just to make the OP aware that if they switch from a Dana 30 to ProRock or TF 44 with an ARB or E-Locker, the axle shaft is specific to the application. Since they are speaking to NR4x4 they will have no issues getting the right axle shaft. I should have clarified more clearly, so that is my bad! We recommend Dynatrac axles daily to our customers and are huge fans.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the help that you have given me. I am going to a local garage tomorrow to inquire about the work. I will also call two other garages to discuss the change and pricing and what not. I am excited to learn more about this.

I am pretty much sold on the Atlas 2 speed. I like what it can do. I am sure the Rubicon transfer case is good, but I like the what Atlas has to offer.

I will post when I know more.

-John

Quick Reply: New axles and transfer case. Not sure what to look for. Any advice?