Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New axles and transfer case. Not sure what to look for. Any advice?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

An atlas over a rubi case any day. They are a bit louder using gears instead of a chain but are more robust and give you the twin stick advantage. It is a heavy bastard too.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
We have had an incredibly busy year so far -- seems a lot of people want the best axles in the business! -- which created some long lead times. But those lead times are starting to shorten now. And the lead time is much shorter for a ProRock 44 housing that doesn't need a locker or gears setup.

Yes, but the rear axle is still going to be the main determinant since it's the one providing power all of the time. Because even though one can get a PR44u sooner, say for example through a vendor that stocks the housings & can setup gears/locker which is exactly what I did, you're still waiting at least 8 weeks + shipping time for your rear Dyna axle to get completed and show up.

I've been driving with my front axle and no front drive-shaft for 3 weeks now (front is geared 4.88 while the rear is still at 3.73) while I wait for the rear to arrive = no fun but I can deal with it.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Unless something happens to the rear and you only have front wheel drive.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Can you please elaborate on some of the other aftermarket issues you experience with Atlas cases?
For the record I will never try and dissuade someone from running an Atlas II in any truck, we love them and they are fantastic, we just think that educating a potential customer, especially if this is their first foray into the hardcore aftermarket. If cover all of this before hand, they're generally very happy with them, it's when they're surprised that it becomes a less than awesome experience. Rereading your post I realized that you are an older stick, which also makes the case for the AA case since you can get some really deep gearing.

The biggest thing about the Advance Adapters transfer case is that it no longer operates like a clean, factory unit, and that can throw some customers, it is a complex aftermarket part. The RockTrac case plugs right it. Throw a tuner on it to reprogram for the NP241OR 4:1 and you're done.

With the AA case, shifting can be a less than straightforward affair, especially before they're broken it. You'll want to pull out all of the old school tricks like making sure the vehicle is rolling, ect. We've found that on occasion, a fresh case just doesn't want to shift at the trailhead. Our advice to that is to shift from high to low whenever you get the chance. This will also get you practice so you don't look like an idiot, since they're a low volume hand made part, every one has its own quirks. Sometimes it just takes a magic handshake that the owner learns over time. The factory case is super easy to shift, so none of this is an issue.

You also have to piggy back a control module to get the factory JK electronics to interface with properly with the T Case. This is pretty simple an well designed, but it's one more layer of electronics between your Jeep and its new case. It is an aftermarket part and if it decides to give you guff, you could be screwed. For the record, we have never had any issues, they've always worked great for us. There is one instance I have been participating in a major event and saw a fellow participant's AA equipped JK (not one of our's or our customer's) go into limp mode, and the limp mode was chased to the module. They had to order a new module and have it overnighted to that locale, which sucked.

Twin stick is just awesome, +1 for the AA case.

Then there is the money thing. Yes, an AA case is more expensive (especially if you shoot for a 4 speed). It's worth it if it's worth it to you, know what I mean? Install can also be labor intensive. Someone had mentioned the gear driven case being stronger than the chain driven, and yeah, that's correct. But do you really need all the extra strength? Probably not unless you're treating your JK extremely rough on the trail with 40s. Hell, we even put them behind V8s! Broken and stretched chains on JK NP421s are extremely rare to the point that I would say it's a non-issue unless your JK is high mileage and has been rode hard and put away wet.

All of this to say, if you want an Advance Adapters case, DO IT! Use a dealer who knows these things. If you're less than 100% confident you can do the install with no drama yourself, take it to someone and pay them the money, plus then they're on the hook for making sure everything works correctly.

You're invited to get in touch with us if you want to discuss this further. We are in Golden, Co (Denver area). We specialize in Dynatrac, Advance Adapters, and all sorts of wacky JK tech, if you wanted to shop for a place to do business with, we would like to think that we are a good space to start! Don't forget to mention that you're a JK Forum member if you decide to explore this further!

Last edited by Trail Jeeps; 04-24-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Unless something happens to the rear and you only have front wheel drive.

True! I've already been there and done that after blowing the rear DS. If the over steer was bad at 3.73, I can imagine what mashing the skinny pedal on 4.88's would be like lol

Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made this journey a couple of years ago, I have a 2012 JK

i ended up up going with a Dynatrac pro rock 44 up front and the semi float 60 in the back

37's and custom drive shafts from a local fabricator/machine shop

ARB lockers and 5.13 gearing, but with a 2010 4.88 is probably best

i still have the stock transfer case, I had a chance to swap for a rubicon one for just $500 but I passed, wish I had gone ahead with it

i got the Dynatrac stuff with lockers and gears from Northridge and I don't think it was more than 2 weeks before they shipped them free!

ive probably got 20,000 miles on this setup and everything works great
Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Thanks again to everyone.

Trail Jeeps, I am planning on coming out and talking with you. There are three shops I am planning to speak with before I order anything. I started with the local shop as they have built several Jeeps that I know of. However, the Jeep master was out that day.

If I get a chance tomorrow I am going to drive up to your shop or call you on the phone.

I am also planning on speaking with NR 4x4. I used them to put bags in my truck and was impressed with the service. My big things is, making sure the shop will stand behind what they do. I am not mechanically inclined, thus I have to pay.

I am planning to go with the Atlas 2 speed. I really like what it has to offer over a stock TC. I think once the break in period is complete I will enjoy it. Perhaps I should drive my Jeep to work in 4 low for a week.

I also called Dynatrac. After my discussion with him, I am thinking I might go with the 60/60. It comes with the upgraded breaks and tie rod. I think that will be a nice feature. I will however, reserve my discussion until I speak to a shop.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by prelucir
Thanks again to everyone.

Trail Jeeps, I am planning on coming out and talking with you. There are three shops I am planning to speak with before I order anything. I started with the local shop as they have built several Jeeps that I know of. However, the Jeep master was out that day.

If I get a chance tomorrow I am going to drive up to your shop or call you on the phone.

I am also planning on speaking with NR 4x4. I used them to put bags in my truck and was impressed with the service. My big things is, making sure the shop will stand behind what they do. I am not mechanically inclined, thus I have to pay.

I am planning to go with the Atlas 2 speed. I really like what it has to offer over a stock TC. I think once the break in period is complete I will enjoy it. Perhaps I should drive my Jeep to work in 4 low for a week.

I also called Dynatrac. After my discussion with him, I am thinking I might go with the 60/60. It comes with the upgraded breaks and tie rod. I think that will be a nice feature. I will however, reserve my discussion until I speak to a shop.
We look forward to having you! If you can, bring your Jeep up and let us take a look underneath to get an idea of it's overall condition while you're here!

Quick Reply: New axles and transfer case. Not sure what to look for. Any advice?