Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Currie RJ 44 axle housing issues

Old 11-25-2017, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Currie RJ 44 axle housing issues

Recently installed a RJ 44 front axle housing into my 08 jk x model. Bought from Northridge and had them install the gears and Yukon grizzly locker before shipping to me. Seems like something in the differential is off. My passenger side axle shaft won't go all the way in, and driver side shaft seems to go in too far. Shafts are Ten Factory chromoly that I purchased from Northridge at the same time as housing. On the passenger side I know the shaft made it past the seals, I can feel it in the spline, it just stops solid about a half inch before it should. the u-joint is pretty much touching the unit bearing bolts and I can't get the unit bearing to seat all the way. Any ideas? I've been back and forth with Ten Factory and Northridge, Northridge says everything in my order is correct and ten factory says the shafts are the correct ones, so not much help from either of them. I prefer not to mess with gears so going into the diff and pulling the carrier to look at things is last resort. I also looked down both sides of the axle and doesn't seem like anything is in the way. I've also tried spinning the DS and putting it into and out of 4hi and 4low seeing if any of that helps. Nothing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	axle shaft 1.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	676215Click image for larger version

Name:	axle shaft 2.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	676216Click image for larger version

Name:	axle shaft 3.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	676217Click image for larger version

Name:	axle shaft 4.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	676218

First two pics are passenger side, second two are driver side.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Measure the axle shafts. Just a guess, but maybe you have a standard housing and shafts for a rubicon?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Measure the axle shafts. Just a guess, but maybe you have a standard housing and shafts for a rubicon?
That's what I was speaking with ten factory about. I measured the shafts and they said they were the non rubicon shafts. And my Northridge order receipt says standard housing. Is there a way to check the housing without pulling it apart?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar setup but not this issue... any chance you have pulled the dif cover For a peek? Is it possible the carrier was installed backwards? Also have you sent the photos to northridge directly? Those guys are great when it comes to tech stuff.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vkoot - sorry about this. this is the first I have heard about this please email me personally @ david@northridge4x4.com and include your name and phone number and I will call you and get this resolved.

and no the carrier can not be installed backwards.

David Johnson
President
Northridge4x4
Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

☝? Northridge coming through as always☝?

I'll be interested to hear what the issue is once sorted out
Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
☝? Northridge coming through as always☝?

I'll be interested to hear what the issue is once sorted out
David followed up with me and had new shafts shipped out same day! Great service after the 3 month runaround hah. But they figured out they originally sent me shafts to match up to the PR 44. I guess my currie RJ 44 diff is offset a bit so it needs different size shafts.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vkoot
David followed up with me and had new shafts shipped out same day! Great service after the 3 month runaround hah. But they figured out they originally sent me shafts to match up to the PR 44. I guess my currie RJ 44 diff is offset a bit so it needs different size shafts.
Alls well that ends well I guess. Glad that Northridge stepped up and took care of the problem. Indeed, there are all kinds of different length shafts out there and clearly the ones you had before were the incorrect length.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This is why I always buy from Northridge 4x4!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of funny... a month later and I have the EXACT same issue on a RJ44. WTF Northridge? Of course, it’s a Sunday, no one is available, and my Jeep is out of commission. No big deal... I don’t have to go to work or anything.

Edit* I measured the shaft. It’s supposed to be 33.6 and I’m 34.5 from end to ear end. (Not u joint center) No test fit before it ships? I stand by my WTF Northridge statement. So far their service has been great, so we’ll see. I have to rent a freakin car now.

Last edited by crffisher; 01-13-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Measured Shaft....

Quick Reply: New Currie RJ 44 axle housing issues