Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dana 44 Front Axle

Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dana 44 Front Axle

Okay, I own a 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited, with 35's and only a 2 inch budget boost. I have managed to bend my front axle with some mild wheeling and have about 5 or 6 degrees of camber on both sides. It is time for me to replace with a Dana 44 and am looking for suggestions, should I just go for a stock Rubicon front axle, or my other thought was a Currie Rock Jock 44 housing. If I do go for the upgraded housing, are any of the parts transferable from my existing Dana 30 onto the the 44? (knuckles, joints, hubs, etc) Any suggestions or info would be great, thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys are still bending the rubi 44s running 35s.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The brakes, hubs & knuckles will transfer over, nothing else. If you can swing the cost go for a PR44 with ARB, your gear choice and RCV shafts . Add Reid knuckles, too.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far, Ive been putting a lot of thought and research into this, and if i postpone my Rock Krawler lift i was planning on getting, I can afford a front Dana 60. Later in the life of my Jeep I do plan on running 37"-38" inch tires and putting some more power into the engine. In your opinion do you think the step up to something bigger is a good idea? It seems like it will be something I can go ahead and purchase, then not have to worry about anything going wrong for the entire life of my Jeep since I'm not planning on going anything over 37's and possibly a Hemi or LS swap. Though 6k is a lot to put into an axle when there is a massive list of things I still want to do to it in the future. Any opinions or suggestions would be awesome.

Last edited by Bleachbone; 08-01-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Grammar Error
Old 08-01-2015, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi

Id go d60s or similar if you bent a d30 and want more hp and larger tires.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

The stock front D30 and D44 housings suck. I put a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 on the front of mine. Works great wih 4.88 gears and the Eaton E-Locker. Expensive, yes, but not nearly as much as the Currie rock Jock D60's I put on my TJ.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Im starting to look at going to a D60 in the front and then when the rear housing goes going to a D60 back there next. Only problem is that's all the upgrading I'll be doing in the next year due to cost, but I'm fine with that if it will be the strongest(within the realm of reason) fix for my axle situation. While I'm at it I'm thinking of going with a Detroit locker in the front and changing f/r to 4.88 gearing. Any recommendations on what axle housing to use? Right now I'm thinking about the Currie Rock Jock 60, really like the angled pumpkin design for clearance and oil cooling, and Im not really worried about the whole high pinion/shearing rear gears issue as I don't plan on ever putting that much stress on my rig. Thanks for all the help so far
Old 08-02-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bleachbone
Im starting to look at going to a D60 in the front and then when the rear housing goes going to a D60 back there next. Only problem is that's all the upgrading I'll be doing in the next year due to cost, but I'm fine with that if it will be the strongest(within the realm of reason) fix for my axle situation. While I'm at it I'm thinking of going with a Detroit locker in the front and changing f/r to 4.88 gearing. Any recommendations on what axle housing to use? Right now I'm thinking about the Currie Rock Jock 60, really like the angled pumpkin design for clearance and oil cooling, and Im not really worried about the whole high pinion/shearing rear gears issue as I don't plan on ever putting that much stress on my rig. Thanks for all the help so far
I really believe it comes down to the size tire you plan to run and how much or how little you beat your Jeep off road. One thing to consider is weight. I haven't forgotten how a buddy of mine and I were able to pick up the front Dyna Pro Rock 44 still in the crate and put it in the back of the truck. Heavy, but doable. It took 4 of us to move the front Currie Rock Jock 60. I can feel the weight difference in my TJ with the 1 tons.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

I gotta admit, I have been known to drive my Jeep like a stole it. And in the future I am planning on going to bigger tires and more power. I guess its looking like I will have to postpone my new lift, and start the swap to some 60's.
On another note is there anything wrong with just doing the front D60 before the rear? 6.5k is already a lot to drop at one time, I'd rather it not be 10k for the front and the rear at the same time.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi

Dont waste money on an aftermarket d44 then. Still a small ring gear/pinion. Higher hp will want 1350 and if your rough on it id say you could blow a d44. Hell i see higher hp guys here eat up d60s

Quick Reply: New Dana 44 Front Axle