Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dana 44 Front Axle

Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoK66
The brakes, hubs & knuckles will transfer over, nothing else. If you can swing the cost go for a PR44 with ARB, your gear choice and RCV shafts . Add Reid knuckles, too.

Is is true that if you run an ARB locker, you would also have to install onboard air? Would there be an electronic alternative to the ARB locker then?

I admit, those ARB lockers are nice.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats exactly what I was thinking, a nice D44 housing up front is all I need for my current setup, but I know I will be going bigger/more powerful in the next couple years. So Id rather not drop 4-5k on a good D44 that will just be replaced when I upgrade the rest of the rig. A Currie Rock Jock is a good choice of a D60 housing correct? Probably paired with 35 spline and a detroit locker
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleachbone
Thats exactly what I was thinking, a nice D44 housing up front is all I need for my current setup, but I know I will be going bigger/more powerful in the next couple years. So Id rather not drop 4-5k on a good D44 that will just be replaced when I upgrade the rest of the rig. A Currie Rock Jock is a good choice of a D60 housing correct? Probably paired with 35 spline and a detroit locker
Just reading through this, based upon where you are and what you plan to do with the rig you don't need a D60, particularly in front. D60s are a MAJOR weight gain and only worth it if you plan some very serious wheeling, a major weight gain from powertrain upgrades, armor, etc. and 40" tires. You MIGHT want to consider 60s once you have the build spec'd out, which at this point I don't see in your comments. The stock rear D44 uses an 8.8" ring gear, a pinion the size of a D60, as well as D60 wheel bearings, and can be upfgraded via an ARB swap to 35 spline rear shafts, same as a D60. You can truss it for some insurance, although you won't read many posts about them bending. Ceartainly not like the fronts. You can swap in a built Dynatrac PR44 (ARB, Reids, RCVs, etc.) for about 5K, or just source a stock D44 out of Rubi and beef it up and I'd bet that's all you'll ever need up front. Even with scrapyard tons, installed properly with enough power increase to make them liveable, big axle swaps are big money. 99.5% of the time the average Jeeper running even lower extreme trails won't need 'em. If you plan on a diet of Johnson Valley & Pritchett Canyon, you're planning on joining a different league.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thats the thing, as of right now I really do not have a lot of cash to put towards my Jeep. And I know it sounds weird to say "Oh I dont have much to spend on my rig, I need 60's" but my whole goal is to try to install as many parts early on that I will keep for the life of my Jeep. Some stuff I cant go right to the "end game" hence why as of now I only have 35's and a 2" inch lift. But as of right now I do have the fund for at least a front 60, and a rear in the near future. And since 37-40 inch tires as well as more power from the engine are also part of the plan, I feel like the extra weight and $$$ will be worth it when I decide to step up to a setup with more driveline stress. If the general consencus is that I will be ok with a PR44 up front for 37s+ then that is what I will go with, but I really would like to plan for the future and get it right the first time.

Last edited by Bleachbone; 08-02-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Grammar Error
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Also remember to look at width measurements and bolt patterns on the d60's. You could be adding new rims with a different pattern and different backspacing, and/or a set of wheel adapters on one end.

I got my PR44 fairly early on, before all these new aftermarket options became available, and the electronics were still being figured out on junkyard axles. It is a great axle for my needs, and at the time, was a great upgrade to my bent stock housing. But, with the lower prices you can find on d60's these days, it may make a lot more sense to just skip the 44. I would...
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

The width of the D60 Im looking at is an inch or 2 wider than what I have, but thats no issue. I did look into the whole pattern problem, will probably go with spacers as I dont see any 5 on 5 patterns available. And hopefully I will be happy enough with having a 60 in the future to offset the massive black hole that is about to appear in my wallet.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An axle is unsprung weight wich isnt as bad as people make it sound unless your mudding maybe. Also if you diy you'll save a ton. Both my d60s cost less than a pr44...a d60 can have much much larger bearings, pinions and ring gears than a d44. But sure some basic ones may be similarly sized. Youll also go full float wich helps shaft flanges. D60 u joints (dif side and axle shaft side) can be larger than a d44. More hp and tires are hell on gears and u joints.. Why keep a small gear/joints if you think youll need it. In the end only you know how you wheel though

Last edited by Maertz; 08-02-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Then it sounds like I'm gonna just have to say goodbye to my Jeep fund and go with 60's. Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

D44 and D30 use the same axle tubes and C's. The pumpkin on a D44 is larger to accommodate larger gears. If gear life is not an issue, I would stay with D30 and add sleeves and gussets.

IMPORTANT: This entry is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this document, although the yorkshire terrier next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft: However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly and let it stand for 2 hours before icing.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

The problem is Ive already bent my front 30, dont really want to buy another one. I was planning to sleeve/truss/gusset it but I had already bent it.

Quick Reply: New Dana 44 Front Axle