Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add a compressor or Upgrade?

Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a compressor or Upgrade?

On my JKU, I have an ARB air locker setup with the medium sized ARB compressor under the hood. I have a new ARB Twin unit that I am planning to mount under the passenger seat and a VIAIR 2.5 gallon tank underneath. My question is this: Should I replace the smaller compressor with the big one or just add the new one for inflation and tools and leave the smaller one dedicated for the lockers? I was thinking I might plumb the systems together with a ball valve between them so if the smaller compressor failed, I could switch the lockers over to the bigger compressor. I'm leaning towards using them both but sometimes I think that seems a little over the top. Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

having a backup is never a bad thing for anything. i have the twin arb mounted on a bracket ontop my rear wheel well inside the jeep(4dr) and the noise is tolerable. i dont think i could handle the noise having it under the seat but i have old ears too.

ive had the twin installed for about 4years now for both lockers, airing up tires etc with no backup or issues at all.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I wouldn't straight up replace the smaller one with the twin. Unless there is an issue with it, I'd leave that set up. If you are up for the work to tie them together, that would probably make the most sense to me, and give you the most bang for your buck if you're installing a tank as well.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I'd replace the little one with the dual as my primary, and then unless you found a good spot to mount it other than inside the cab, I'd mount the little one in a pelican case or something to make it into a standalone compressor. Could be used as a backup or whatever (letting others fill their tires, backup compressor, etc.).

Others have said they don't mind the noise of the compressor inside the cab, but me personally I wouldn't want to hear it. Not sure how loud the ARB is, but my VIAIR was stupid loud.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by smittycm
If it were me I'd replace the little one with the dual as my primary, and then unless you found a good spot to mount it other than inside the cab, I'd mount the little one in a pelican case or something to make it into a standalone compressor. Could be used as a backup or whatever (letting others fill their tires, backup compressor, etc.).

Others have said they don't mind the noise of the compressor inside the cab, but me personally I wouldn't want to hear it. Not sure how loud the ARB is, but my VIAIR was stupid loud.
The problem with the little singles that run lockers is they are damn near worthless as stand alones. They are not good to fill large tires with IMO....takes forever. Also though, if you have a compressor in the cab to activate lockers, it's not constantly running or anything. Once that pressure is there it's off.....and, if you're airing up tires, you're likely not sitting in the cab listening to it. To me, having one in the cab under the seat is a much cleaner/controled environment than a dirty/dusty engine bay that is full of heat all the time.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good points. I was only recommending the single as a standalone backup. You'd be more than fine with just the double to air up tires and run your lockers. Having the single as a standalone just gives you the ability to go mobile with it, like throw it in another vehicle, or like I said before lend it to someone else. Seems like there is almost always someone needing my assistance with getting aired back up after a run.

I ran a couple extra lines from underhood to points on either side of my front footwells. Worked great as easily accessible plug in points for airing up.

Me personally I'm not worried about the heat underhood. I normally pop the hood when airing up and running the compressor for a long time anyways. If your concerned with the intake filter underhood you could always remote mount it.

Just saying what I would do. Your preferences may drive you to go a different route. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks all

Great points everyone. Thanks for the input.
I've decided to leave the little one for lockers only and install the big one for inflation and tools. Now inside or outside ....

I'll let you know.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by dendicott
Great points everyone. Thanks for the input.
I've decided to leave the little one for lockers only and install the big one for inflation and tools. Now inside or outside ....

I'll let you know.
Thanks!
I'd be curious to see a report back on the success of running tools with the added feature of a tank that size. Definitely know that without a tank it's bout useless in that regard.

Quick Reply: Add a compressor or Upgrade?