Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and asking for advice for buying a JK for overland modification

Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and asking for advice for buying a JK for overland modification

Hi All,

I am new to the Forum and am asking for some advice as to buying a JK unlimited and modifying it for Overland Travel. I am looking at a 3 1/2 inch lift and 15 inch tires, plus bumpers, winch and rack. What I am trying to sort through is should I get an base Unlimited for cheap and modify it from there or get a Willy or Sahara or even a Rubicon and modify it. The big question is the axle ratio. I understand the the base rear axle is the 3.21 the upgraded rear axle is 3.73 and the Rubicon can be 4.10. Is it worth while to get the upgraded model to get the higher ratio tranax or stick with the 3.21 and upgrade the axles with the jeep and how much work and money is it to upgrade the rear axle ? The difference in price is considerable. I can get an base Sport S with Power windows and locks for as little as 27k but the Rubicons are as high as 42K.

I also plan on upgrade the interior and electronics as well as install full blown cabinetry and a fridge for long term off road travel.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you I would be looking for a base rubicon with 3.73 for around $36k. This would turn 33" tires and get good fuel economy which over landers seem to value more than the rock crawlers who like 35's, 37's, and bigger tires.

A rubicon on 33's would be extremely capable as an over landing rig, maybe even overkill but I would like knowing the lockers are there just in case. Rubicon axles can handle 33's and push them through any scenario I imagine an over lander would find himself in, no worries!

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-26-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:12 AM
JK Newbie

Buy a base Rubicon with 4.10. You will appreciate it if your put on larger tires.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I started out with a base sport with crank windows and manual door locks and slowly built it up. If you are planning on rock crawling then go with the Rubicon due to the transfer case, lockers and D-44 axles. If you plan to stick with mainly unimproved roads with some technical items get a sport because you can spend the difference on upgrades. Oh check on getting the max tow package because that will give you 3.73 gears, receiver and 4 pin harness. As for suspension I would strongly recommend riding in various Jeeps to see what you like. Ride is 100% subjective. Lastly why do you want 15 inch wheels? Jeeps come stock with 16 inch steel wheels or 17 inch aluminum. I like my 17's because the exposed side wall on 35's is not as much as it is on a 15. R/ Will
Old 09-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So I'll throw in coming from purchasing a Rubicon from the start.

Pros: It allowed me to have a jeep that was beyond my capabilities right out of the box. It came with some luxuries that my wife likes (heated seats).

Cons: Now that I'm 5 years in, the only part of my jeep that is still Rubicon is the axles and even they are modified in that I use my own wiring to activate them completely independent of the jeep harness. Everything else is gone from the Rubicon. Heck, I don't even use the power doors/locks anymore. Or even the air conditioning.

If I KNEW I would be building what I have now, I would have purchased a used base model JKU and built from there.

So I think the lesson is that you need to guess at what you will do with it and what your right limit on building it is.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My first jeep was a 14" JKU Willys and I've been in my 15" JK rubicon for over a year now. I'm extremely pleased with the rubicon and have no gripes about it in anyway other than space compared to my JKU. Having the piece of mind with the lockers is REALLY nice. I think it comes down to the end result, if you see yourself getting really into a full on build I'd say go with a base model. As long as you are in a jeep you really can't go wrong... And just look around here and you'll see the sky is the limit. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Just a thought on wheels: Consider going at least 17s. Overland builds get heavy, and big brake kits require 17" wheels. You can check my profile to see my own build; I've been known to do a little overlanding. ;-). I'll go with a Rubi next time, but am not fond of the lower geared transfer case since I drive a stick. A three speed TC would be better, and may be an option in the JL model.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. You will get several opinions from the folks with good intentions. Hang on for the ride. I would recommend check out the forum site here about the guy traversing the continent and see what works or doesn't for him. He had a pretty good set up. Grecy is the name.

Last edited by In2rsq1; 09-26-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if 15" wheels will fit over the brakes.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response guys, it's very helpful. I fat fingered my post and I meant to say 35" tires. I would probably go with 17 or 18 inch wheel give me room for better brake later maybe due to the added weight of overland built. I envision going off road for primarily for overland travel and camping purpose. I want something that can't handle most rugged terrain and allow me to get to where I want to go without concern and carry some creature comfort and peace of mind. I don't expect to go and do extreme challenges of rock crawling or mudding for the purpose for challenging my built. I would want good road behavior in the mountain roads and good durability and capability and stability off road. A tough combination. I figure I ask everyone experience and see. My fear is I buy a Rubicon and end up with nothing original and could have spend the money on the built instead. Another expensive hobby that I got my head wrapped around....lol any suggestion and wisdom is welcome in this case. I was looking at the MetalCloak Game changer lift as well. Any thoughts on that ?

Quick Reply: New to forum and asking for advice for buying a JK for overland modification