Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new jeep/ new lift pulls left

Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new jeep/ new lift pulls left

I have a new jeep less than 5k miles on it and I had a 3" BDS lift installed with fox shocks and a adjustable front track bar and aev geometry brackets. And I now have a pull to the left. I took it back to the shop and they installed cam bolts on the lower control arms in opposite directions as the fix and now it has a very slight pull. I have read about the steering stabilizer issues and have ruled that out. I have read about thrust angle but don't think that is the issue since I'm using factory control arms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think the cam bolts are the answer pretty sure both sides should be in the same direction. Front axle is about 1/2 to the right. I'm going to start with centering that up and go from there. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did they torque everything down with the vehicle on the ground? if not it seems that can cause handling issues.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
did they torque everything down with the vehicle on the ground? if not it seems that can cause handling issues.
I don't know for sure but I doubt it. Should I loosen everything while on the ground then read torque?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That will bind the bushings up, causing a bit harsher ride. But I haven't seen anyone talk about it causing a pull to one side? (it certainly won't hurt to loosen all the bolts, shake it and bounce on the bumpers a few times, then torque them all again just to check it though.)

If the shop did an actual alignment, post the specs from the sheet. Sometimes people will adjust the caster a bit differently left and right for the crown in many roads. Maybe the Toe could be tweaked. There have also been quite a few people talking about a 'radial pull' in one direction from certain tires.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-02-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you put a new sterring stabilizer on? Like a Bilstein?
If your steering stabilizer has positive pressure on it, then it will make your vehicle pull to the left or right depending on which way it's mounted.

Didn't fully read OP. the cam bolts may be the problem, I had some similar problems with mine, although not as extreme. They may be slipping on the driver side a little causing your axle to pull in towards the rear giving you a slight pull.

Also, check your tire pressure, extreme differences in tire pressure can give you a pull, although it'd be pretty obvious looking at it.

Last edited by grim_creation; 06-10-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jwp011
I have a new jeep less than 5k miles on it and I had a 3" BDS lift installed with fox shocks and a adjustable front track bar and aev geometry brackets. And I now have a pull to the left. I took it back to the shop and they installed cam bolts on the lower control arms in opposite directions as the fix and now it has a very slight pull. I have read about the steering stabilizer issues and have ruled that out. I have read about thrust angle but don't think that is the issue since I'm using factory control arms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't think the cam bolts are the answer pretty sure both sides should be in the same direction. Front axle is about 1/2 to the right. I'm going to start with centering that up and go from there. Thanks again.
I recommend removing the steering stabilizer and driving around a bit. I also have 3"BDS with fox shocks/stabilizer and I also pull to one side. I have no issues when stabilizer is removed. I have been weighing options of dual stabilizer set up vs dealing with it. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of tires do you have installed? Have you tried rotating them to see if the issue changes?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same lift installed and the guys at the shop said they would get it close but I had to go to an alignment shop to get it perfect. Just like they said, it pulled to one side, took it to an alignment shop that usually deals with lifted vehicles and they got it perfect.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim215
I had the same lift installed and the guys at the shop said they would get it close but I had to go to an alignment shop to get it perfect. Just like they said, it pulled to one side, took it to an alignment shop that usually deals with lifted vehicles and they got it perfect.
They probably did what they did for mine at ORW. They pushed the drivers side control arms out maybe 1/4" to offset the push a little so it would track straight.

They could have also moved your stabilizer so it was mounted at almost full extension and not providing any/very little positive pressure
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

If you have Nitto Trail Grapplers that may be the problem. Mine pulls to the left and have tried so much to fix the problem, but I after a lot of reading, it seems the Grapplers pull left.

Quick Reply: new jeep/ new lift pulls left