Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JKU owner question about 33s

Old 12-08-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New JKU owner question about 33s

I've had a 12' JKU Sport stock for a few weeks now and I can't stop smiling. I'll warn you I don't know shit about Jeeps but have been trying hard to research what I can. I'd like to start getting into off-roading, nothing extreme, and trying to go easy on the wallet. I live near the Rocky Mountains so I'm up there every weekend skiing in the winter and want to start off-road trails come this summer. Everyone says stock JKs are good enough so was thinking of the minor upgrades:

- 33x12.5x16 tires
- 16" rims (15" bit small and 17" are pricey)
- Rubicon take-off shocks and springs

I'm trying to avoid rubbing, killing my MPGs, and a rough ride. Correct me if I'm wrong but I chose the 33x12.5" tires because like the wide stance look and not the "tall and thin" tires. To avoid rubbing the 12.5" wide tires I read I'll need 16" wheels with the right backspacing (or something). Because 33s don't really need a lift I was thinking of using some rubi springs and shocks for a little gain. I have the JKU hard top with no trailer so hoping to find some springs that are a little stiffer to give me 0.5"-1.0" lift (right?). The rubi shocks I hear give a little softer ride I don't know what else...Just chose the rubi take-offs because they're cheap and easy to find. I could go with another company's springs/shocks too if it gives a little more lift I just don't want something to stiff this is mostly my daily driver.

Am I getting the right idea with all this? I worry about lifts reading all the posts about re-gearing, centering, balancing, death wobble, and all the different parts to be installed. I'm hoping these upgrades are relatively minor and easy for a mechanic to install so I wouldn't have any issues. Again, I don't know shit about shit, so if you could keep the answers simple for my primitive mind I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can fit those with no lift, as long as the wheels have enough backspacing.. there might be a little rubbing on the fenders though when you hit certain bumps or flex a certain way.

As far as a lift, you an get a leveling kit, or a small 2-2.5" lift with nothing else to worry about except maybe an exhaust spacer. No regear, no alignment or anything, and those 33's will fit a lot better with 0% chance of rubbing
Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Maybe consider Rubi take-off wheels & tires (32.2"), shocks, and sliders and see how that works -- It's not as large, but these are usually quite a deal with minimal labor cost and no concerns about rubbing or wheel spacers. A simple spacer lift like the Daystar 3/4" might be a good idea to get the small lift your after. There's also some info in the build thread in my sig that might be interesting.

Have fun
Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 33s with no lift. Wheels have 4.5 backspacing. There is an extremely slight rub at full lock but it's not an issue at all. Only time I ever notice it is maybe once a week if I'm backing out of a parking spot.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Congrats on your rig & welcome to the forum.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PBone
I run 33s with no lift. Wheels have 4.5 backspacing. There is an extremely slight rub at full lock but it's not an issue at all. Only time I ever notice it is maybe once a week if I'm backing out of a parking spot.
take it offroad and disconnect the front sway bar and you WILL damage things with anything larger than stock.

fyi, stock Rubi tires measure at best, 31.5".

Here is a small 33". Measure a bit over 32", and it tire the fender. You have to lift 2.5" or run extended bumpstops or trim your factory fenders:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1980887212.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	587323

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Without any mods at all stock rubi's is the biggest you can going your going to go off road... There are tons of posts about this and it boils down to what amount of rubbing you're willing tolerate if you want to go bigger. OR spend more and add a lift!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Rock Crawler leveling lift, 1 3/4 in the front and 3/4 in the rear, and it came with quick sway bar disconnects. It was very reasonable, but I don't know if they still offer that same kit. I ran 33" tires on it for a long time with no rubbing issues. I also got Rubi take of springs and shocks and thought they did improve the ride off-road. I've since chopped the fenders and am running 35s now with that same lift. I bought 16" aftermarket wheels with 4 1/2 back spacing, but have often wished I had just gotten 1 1/2" spacers and stayed with the stock 17" alloy wheels. I've heard that you can't lift a 2012 and up very much without having to replace the front drive shaft to the stock one rubbing on the exhaust, so be aware of that.

I just checked in the 4WD catalog and they have the Rock Krawler spacer lift with the disconnects for just over $200

Last edited by Clark Collins; 12-09-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's also TF spacer leveling kt I have that on mine & am very happy with it. Under $200 too.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Quick Reply: New JKU owner question about 33s