Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gap in Australian Market for Flares

Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gap in Australian Market for Flares

Hi everyone, hoping a vendor or two sees this. Not sure really where to post...

In Australia we have very strict modified vehicle laws, technically you can't run more than a total 3" of lift (suspension and tyres) in my state. You also have to have your tyres completely covered, full width bars, etc, etc, etc, there's a lot.

One of the main issues is tyre coverage, most officers will look past lift and larger diameter tyres, but are quite picky on tyres sticking out of the flares.

There are only a handful of options available for wider than factory flares, here's a breakdown...

Steel/aluminium flares;
  • Poison Spyder & JCR
Pros: tough, steel, 2" wider than factory.
Cons: super expensive, heavy.

Plastic flares;
  • Xenon (or the Australian rip off DBOR)
Pros: light, 2" wider than factory, cheaper.
Cons: prone to snap and crack rather than flex

• Rugged Ridge (these are what I currently run, unfortunately I, like many others, need more width)
Pros: light, cheap, flexible
Cons: only 1" wider than factory, cheaper plastic material

• Buswhacker
Pros: light, 2" wider than stock
Cons: large, cumbersome, prone to snap/crack

• Trailmods Gen2
Pros: light, removable, 2" wider than stock
Cons: poor quality, subjectively ugly design (seriously what were they thinking?)

So where do we stand?

I've looked particularly at MCE for their flares are light, flexible, and good quality. However they unfortunately abandoned the idea of wider than factory flares.

What we need is a lightweight plastic flare that is 2" wider than stock, and quite flexible as obviously being so wide it's going to take hits on obstacles.
If anyone has any other suggestions for wider than factory flares I'd love to hear it, otherwise if a Manafacture/Vendor is reading this please consider the Australian market, there is a large gap here that I know LOTS of people would be interested in.

Sorry for the long winded post, please advise me if there is a better place to post it up.
If you've read this far thanks for the interest!

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronW
What we need is a lightweight plastic flare that is 2" wider than stock, and quite flexible as obviously being so wide it's going to take hits on obstacles.
Plastic, flexible, and able to take hits on obstacles, and at a budget friendly price point.....AHHHH, the holy grail.

Frustrating situation you are in. Unfortunately, we're hitting the end of a run for the JK, and the product offerings are unlikely to increase as manufacturers start focusing on the JL. I had some bushwackers back in the day......so I totally relate to them not being suitable for serious offroaders. I didn't want to pay the price of a metal PSC flare at the time. In hindsight I wish I had cuz I basically pissed away $500+ on those POS Bushwackers. Although the PSC are pricey, at least they stand up to the abuse.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the most interesting approach I've seen was someone using the smittybilt flares (which are very narrow but are pretty heavy duty) and then bolting / riveting on an extension made of conveyor belt. The rubber / steel mat flexes on hits but is rigid enough to stay in shape on the highway.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I think the most interesting approach I've seen was someone using the smittybilt flares (which are very narrow but are pretty heavy duty) and then bolting / riveting on an extension made of conveyor belt. The rubber / steel mat flexes on hits but is rigid enough to stay in shape on the highway.
LOL, that sure sounds like an interesting design. Creative if nothing else.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
Plastic, flexible, and able to take hits on obstacles, and at a budget friendly price point.....AHHHH, the holy grail.
I'd pay big money for a well designed flexible wide flare in all honesty.

Quick Reply: Gap in Australian Market for Flares