Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lift, now I have popping sound

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lift, now I have popping sound

I recently had a 2.5 in teraflex coil lift with fox shocks installed on my 2013 jk. When I am driving it and go over medium to large bumps it makes a popping sound somewhere behind me on the drivers side. The sound is similar to a piece of plastic popping against metal. On small bumps it does nothing just larger bumps. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others have had their rear coil springs hitting against other components. Make sure they're seated properly and, if they are and this is the issue, they make coil wedges to place on the rear to adjust the coil's line.

If it's a bolt that's hitting the coil, consider flipping it (the bolt), but use caution making sure this won't cause interference elsewhere or risk the integrity of whatever it's connecting.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your back coil springs some have had them hitting this causing a noise.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue, moderate bumps seemed like it was bottoming out on me. It just seemed to be on the passenger side so I crawled underneath and saw that my track bar bolt was hitting on the bump stop. For whatever reason I had the bump stop on backwards Quick flip and it's all good now....
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this issue recently. Make sure your johnny joints (if your control arms have johnny joints) are vertical and not tilted. If they are tilted, they will grind against the control arm brackets when flexing. Also check springs and cycle the suspension. Loosen the control arm bolts with the vehicle on the ground, shake the vehicle violently back and forth to settle the arms, then retighten. Your arms could be experiencing bind, causing the noise when flexing.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have someone jump up and down on the back of your jeep while you crawl around underneath to find where the pop is coming from.

It would be from the passenger rear if it is the trackbar bolt hitting the spring or if the rear lower extended bumpstops were put on backwards.

If you are not running wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, it could be related to the swaybar links not clearing your wheels.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Have someone jump up and down on the back of your jeep while you crawl around underneath to find where the pop is coming from.

It would be from the passenger rear if it is the trackbar bolt hitting the spring or if the rear lower extended bumpstops were put on backwards.

If you are not running wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with less backspacing, it could be related to the swaybar links not clearing your wheels.
Nice to see you here planman.
Also check the nuts/bolts on your shocks that they are not loose.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

I had the lift professionally installed. So I am going to take it back for the re-torque(that they recommend) and see if they can figure it out. Thanks for all the ideas of what to check.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Nice to see you here planman.
Good to be back

Quick Reply: New Lift, now I have popping sound