Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Magnaflow exhaust BUT, exhaust smell now..

Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Magnaflow exhaust BUT, exhaust smell now..

I went to my local muffler shop here in Naples Fla. (a good one).. and had them put on a 9x14" Magnaflow under the drivers space.. Also had them put on the tailpipe, and bend it to fit around and out an inch behind the back bumper on the left side.. (using the factory hanger was my requirement.. All welded.. slight slash cut on the tip..

PROBLEM.. although sounds swell, and I can hear it now..! with the soft plastic out and the windows down.. IT IS SUCKING UP THE EXHAUST..!!

I am wondering if anyone might know the aerodynamic configs for tailpipe placement to get the gasses sucked away, instead of into the vehicle??

Tip out at an angle??

Stuck out farther behind the bumper..?

Maybe pointed down some??

the original one didn't seem that special in outlet placement...

I am going back there today to talk to the owner and see what recommendations he has..

Any input from you mechanical engineers would be helpful..:confused:

Thanks..!!

Last edited by captsam54; 05-01-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Maybe if it came out to the side just behind the rear tire?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats wierd... ill take one guess though. Are you sure theres no leaks in the pipe?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Default Magnaflow exhaust conversion..is awesome..!

Thanks fellas.. I went back by there today and we discussed the possibilities of putting it on the other side, (where the stock one came out). But I* didn't want that.. So we put a slash cut turn down on it (for free).. WORKS FINE.. no smell on the way home with the windows down and the back canvas open.. No leaks in the welds either.***Will post pictures in my gallery here in a bit.***..

Would recommend them to anyone in the lower west coast of fla. 182.00 total cost including the stainless Magnaflow 6x9 oval.. :toung:
Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are not supposed to drive with on ly the back window open. It creates a vaccum in the cab srawing in exhasut fumes. If you take out the rear side windows too you won't have anymore issues.

Eventhough you cant smell it anymore I woudnt advise driving like that. Carbon Monoxide is what you should be concerned about and that you can't smell.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nader
you are not supposed to drive with on ly the back window open. It creates a vaccum in the cab srawing in exhasut fumes. If you take out the rear side windows too you won't have anymore issues.

Eventhough you cant smell it anymore I woudnt advise driving like that. Carbon Monoxide is what you should be concerned about and that you can't smell.
I DID HAVE THE SIDE WINDOWS OUT AS WELL.. all the zip out plastic.. and the 2 ft. windows open...

But problem appears to be solved now.. Will paint it BLACK.. soon.. (the muffler tip..!)

Quick Reply: New Magnaflow exhaust BUT, exhaust smell now..