Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member New JK

Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member New JK

Hello JK member,

I just purchased a 2012 JKU Sahara. So far i love it. I have done a little bit of modding already, so far i have added LED headlights, a Kongo roof rack, LED interior lights and a new mid length bumper. The jeep came with some mods and i had some questions i hope this forum can assist with.

Not sure how high the lift is. Is there a way to tell how high of lift the previous owner had installed? The dealer i got it from did not know.

I have fox shocks all around with dual fox steering stabilizers. When i test drove it before i bought it it had no creeks or noises, and it was all on smooth roads. Where i live it is more bumpy and you can def feel all the bumps in the roads, it feels like i'm hitting pot holes left and right. I did read the fox shocks do ride a lot stiffer is this true? if so i hear the Rancho's will give me a softer ride. As for the creaking noises when i push down on my bumper on the driver side you can hear it, hard to tell where it's coming from possibly sway bar links?

The jeep over 70mph does ride a little floaty as well. Not bad but not as tight as i'd like it to be. What can relieve this issue? Adjustable track bar?

Any tips will help fellows, thanks. I love the jeep so far, i traded my lifted Ram 2012 for this and so far it was worth it. The jeep is not as luxurious as my Ram but it def is more fun to ride.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stolen from a thedirtman post:
Measure from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame.
A stock jku is 5" You might also look on top of the coils and see if there is a tall plastic puck on top of them, if you do that would be the lift height.

A solid axle vehicle will generally feel less connected to the road and limited feedback while driving. Depending on the lift and tires you may need an adjustable track bar to help just strengthen the front end, as well as some sort of castor correction (brackets or control arms) if none had come with the lift.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Welcome aboard. Here is another place you can measure actual lift up front -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock JK Height.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	672287

One of the hardest things when buying a lifted jeep is just trying to figure out what a previous owner has done. You might search around the web at pictures of stock components.....front end steering components and undersides like control arms and such.....to help identify what you are working with. If you have questions about it, you can take some good, clear pictures and post them up. It would be hard for people to tell you exactly brand, but members can quickly identify certain things you may or may not be working with that are or are not factory components. Knowing is half the battle for future reference.

Hard to tell from the description if the ride quality might just be an adjustment from the Ram or not. It wouldn't surprise me if the jeep caster isn't ideal. Again, taking pictures and identifying things goes a long ways to figuring out some solutions.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Welcome aboard. Here is another place you can measure actual lift up front -

Attachment 672287

One of the hardest things when buying a lifted jeep is just trying to figure out what a previous owner has done. You might search around the web at pictures of stock components.....front end steering components and undersides like control arms and such.....to help identify what you are working with. If you have questions about it, you can take some good, clear pictures and post them up. It would be hard for people to tell you exactly brand, but members can quickly identify certain things you may or may not be working with that are or are not factory components. Knowing is half the battle for future reference.

Hard to tell from the description if the ride quality might just be an adjustment from the Ram or not. It wouldn't surprise me if the jeep caster isn't ideal. Again, taking pictures and identifying things goes a long ways to figuring out some solutions.

Great, i'll have to plan to do this. I'll take some pictures and post them here, and hopefully get some more information out of it. From what i can tell it's got BDS stickers on the Fox Shocks so i assume it's a BDS Branded lift. I'll take some photos of the undercarriage and post them. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Here's a decent pic identifying front end components. Take good pictures of those, along with the axle in general.....capturing shots of bracketry and such. Things like where the track bar bolts up, where the control arms bolt up both axle and frame side. Snap pic of your ball joints as well. I'd imagine we could give you a good idea of what you're working with.

If you do snap some pics, I'd post em up in a new thread asking for help identifying if components are factory or aftermarket rather than in this thread.....some people overlook the new member threads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-17_221052_2011-12-17_150458.png
Views:	69
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	672290

Quick Reply: New Member New JK