JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   New Metalcloak shock offering coming soon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/new-metalcloak-shock-offering-coming-soon-358439/)

chiapeteater 04-17-2022 04:36 AM

New Metalcloak shock offering coming soon

So I was just watching a Casey250 vid where he visited Metalcloaks manufacturing facility to help promote their new give away and they kinda debuted a new shock they are coming out with. It is an adjustable reservoir shock, not quite as much travel as the 6-packs but I guess they will be a mid-tier between them and the Rocksports. Skip to about 8:00.

Sv_dude 04-17-2022 08:49 AM

Interesting. I’ve always liked metalcloak because they do things that other companies have not. Such as the high clearance fenders that can be removed, or interchanged with other wider or narrow fenders. Also their duraflex joints are unique, and modular bumpers that can have a bent corner replaced or exchanged for a wider or narrow part.

But these shocks don’t seem special, they don’t seem to have anything “new”. They appear to just be another spin on the falcon shocks. I’m not impressed.

TheDirtman 04-17-2022 03:26 PM

Shocks are big business, people spend way too much on shocks and hype up new ones like the falcons. King and Fcx cant make them fast enough. Its just an opportunity to sell more to thsoe that don't want red shocks.

Sv_dude 04-17-2022 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4392989)
Shocks are big business, people spend way too much on shocks and hype up new ones like the falcons. King and Fcx cant make them fast enough. Its just an opportunity to sell more to thsoe that don't want red shocks.

Give someone a shiny shock and watch them get all giddy.

Add a reservoir and they start to get light headed.

Tell them it’s adjustable and watch them lose their minds.

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4392989)
King and Fcx cant make them fast enough.

And that’s a part of the problem. I’ve looked at getting longer king shocks for my Jeep and the lead time is way out there.

chiapeteater 04-17-2022 05:11 PM

I'm not doing high speed baja or a lot of washboard stuff either so I'm just going to stick with the Rocksports. They ride pretty comfortably and I get good travel out of them for now. Unless I go with 6-packs when it's time to get new shocks, I'll get another set of Rocksports. They are a pretty good value for what you pay compared to other offerings.

nevrnf 04-24-2022 05:12 AM

Hmmm. Looks like an exact copy.
Vertex 2.5 Adj Front Shocks | 2-3" | Jeep Wrangler JL 4WD (18-22) | Rough Country

TheDirtman 04-24-2022 07:25 AM

Not even close. Top cap on both tes shock and res are different, the res is machiened on the metal cloak, the adjusters are different, hoses are different, the res clamps are different. If I had to guess the Metal Cloak are made by sway a way or fox and the rough county are Radflo but again they could be Fox as they use that braided stainless steel hose on their shocks.
The Metal Cloaks could be all new as it really is not hard to build a shock if you have access to machining. All the magic is inside on how they stack those valve shims and control the fluid.

chiapeteater 01-11-2024 11:40 AM

Quick update........

14KaratJK 01-11-2024 06:32 PM

Definitely disappointed with the price of these, it's a little ridiculous. Especially since they were supposed to be a middle of the road shock between their current offerings. For the price, 6-paks are much more reasonable utilizing a somewhat more unique body to gain more travel. I'd even rather save a little more to get coil overs before these new ones.

Fst96se 04-29-2024 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 14KaratJK (Post 4407503)
Definitely disappointed with the price of these, it's a little ridiculous. Especially since they were supposed to be a middle of the road shock between their current offerings. For the price, 6-paks are much more reasonable utilizing a somewhat more unique body to gain more travel. I'd even rather save a little more to get coil overs before these new ones.

Ya, the price is astonishing. I bought rocksports as a stopgap to these. The red rock sports will be staying.