Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Has Wheel/ Tire Questions

Old 10-04-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Has Wheel/ Tire Questions

I don't know what the general demeanor of this forum is, but I will begin by stating that I have read through the "Modified FAQ" and a few posts before posting this.

After hearing a few different opinions, I still have some questions. I just purchased a new JKU Rubicon (2013) and she is fully stock. I am in desperate need of new tires and already have an idea in mind...

I want to pick up some wheels that are 17x9" with 4.5-4.75" offset and plan on running 315/ 70 R17 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2.

I just ordered some off-brand 5/32" steel tube fenders for this.

Ok, here's the question. What else do I need (or need to do) to make this set-up work? The less I need, the better since I am planning on running a Rock Krawler Max Travel lift as well but not until a future date in a few months. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

35's, 4.5" backspace, no lift, but flat fenders? So more wheel well space, and the tires are moved out. That's good, but sitll cycle the suspension and check clearances. My guess is you'll still contact when stuffed.

With a newer jk you might be ok with the rear pinch seams, but double check them. And since you have a rubicon, check for contact between the rear tires and the rock rails. Lots of people chop a couple inches off them when going to larger tires.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-04-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you'll be fine. You may have to add a leveling kit / budget boost but I doubt it.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And since you have a rubicon, check for contact between the rear tires and the rock rails. Lots of people chop a couple inches off them when going to larger tires.
+1 on this.

I would only suggest that if you ever think you might go bigger than a 35 at any point, consider wheels carefully the first time. I swore up and down I'd never go past 35s. Scratched my Fuel wheels up to high holy hell wheelin, to the point they are worthless for resale. Well, now I'm on 37s....which take more back spacing. Wish I'd just done beadlocks from the start. I'd just say to really be honest with yourself, and choose wisely in regards to wheels.

Best of luck with your build.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

315/70/17 KO2s will fit smaller than 35s" so you may not have to worry about the rock rails and you shouldn't have to worry about rub at flex with flat fenders. I think you're good but you'd have to test fit yourself and see.

Quick Reply: Newbie Has Wheel/ Tire Questions