Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen in Tires

Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen in Tires

Has anyone run 100%Nitrogen in 35's or larger tires. Just wondering if anyone had experience in doing this. I know its supposed to make the tire wear better and last longer.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

I run nitrogen in my F250's 31's I dont know if it helps the tires wear better but it reacts less to temp changes and is less likely to leak b/c it is a larger molecule. I filled them up in the begining of last may fronts at 55psi and the rears at 65. last week they were the same.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You already have nitrogen in your tires.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

As far as mileage and wear goes, it is a total load. The leaking thing is true though. On second thought, if we drove hybrids with low rolling resistance tires, it might make a difference. But, I can tell you right now, the boy over at Belle Tire didn't come up with some new groundbreaking technique.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

we have a fancy machine at work called a SGNC (self generating nitrogen cart) http://www.pci-intl.com/sgnsc.html Its for aircraft tires n struts.

Last edited by hellazuki; 01-29-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atmospheric air consists of 78.08% Nitrogen! By checking your tire pressure frequently and correcting it you can avoid the nitrogen scam. They will charge you 30-40 bucks and hype up nitrogen as saving fuel and tires, you are better off buying a good tire pressure gauge and checking it often.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats what I figured. I could never make myself pay the extra for nitrogen.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Atmospheric air is made up mostly of N2 and O2. There are other trace gasses and water vapor. By using compessed air you get all of that in your tire. All the gasses are affected by the ideal gas law PV=nRT where basically the volume of gas is directly proportional to temp. IN other words, Pure N2 will expand and contract with temp changes just like the mixed gas we call air. The mixture of gasses may be slightly different but not enough to make any real world differance. If you were on a race track running 200 + MPH and was looking for consistency and predictability then it may be important but for a truck tire, its bunk. I could see reducing the amount of water vapor in the compressed air but when air is compressed, water vapor condenses out and that is why your air compressor gets all that water in the bottom you need to let out from time to time.

So, Put in regular air, check your pressures often and you will be fine and dandy.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if I just fill with regular air, and all of the smaller molecules leak out, then don't I end up with pure nitrogen (or large gas molecules) in my tires?

If I filled my tires with helium, would my jeep float in the air?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

If I filled my tires with helium, would my jeep float in the air?......
.You would need to put 1100 lbs pressure of Helium in your tires for your Jeep to. float. That would be 4400 lbs total. You might want to use a forged wheel as the increased pressure might stress the stock cast wheels.

One important quick note. Put REGULAR AIR in the spare tire. Otherwise, when you remove it , you might end up getting your PRIVATE ASTRONAUT RATING!!

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires