Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spare Cargo Rack

Old 04-11-2017, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Front Runner tailgate table I have yet to install, but with my back it seems low for cooking and prep.

The backside of the rack could either have a table clip on or be mounted and hinged. If I had a table off the rack I could use the FR table for a staging area for food or drink prep, with the upper table for actual cooking.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

New cooler arrived. perfect fit. I wanted a Ozark Trail cooler but measurements dint look like it would fit.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default is it just the look your trying to have no spare hanging

seeing your taking up space inside having a wheel in there ? Im a rack person as well on my 2 door . i havent in 5 years needed to remove the spare but its on a or fab carrier . i guess everyone has their idea of how things work best for them i can hold 500 lbs on the hitch rack ! your door rack can hold how much before door buckles over a bump?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3719 (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	670294  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-13-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
seeing your taking up space inside having a wheel in there ? Im a rack person as well on my 2 door . i havent in 5 years needed to remove the spare but its on a or fab carrier . i guess everyone has their idea of how things work best for them i can hold 500 lbs on the hitch rack ! your door rack can hold how much before door buckles over a bump?
what rack do you have above your spare?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
With the no spare rack every thing I want is easy to access. Wont need to pull the cooler to get to food, and the Action Packer can be pulled with the gate opened or closed. Tow strap and D-Rings are there, small tools, and first aid kit. I still need to add a shovel, bow saw, ax, and a fire extinguisher on Quickfists back there.

My beer, drinks cooler goes on the trailer.

The rack is much stronger then the gate, I doubt Ill have as much weight on the rack as a 33" STT Pro weighs. I still have to add the Morryde heavy duty hinges and the third bracket for the rack, I can always add the tailgate reinforcement if I need to. I have a 500# steel hitch carrier if I dont bring the trailer.

I still need to finish equipping the AP for a kitchen box.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got the Morryde HD hinges installed. They dont open as wide as the stock hinges do, the rear glass rubs on the rack.

Im gonna have to push the rack out before putting in the third bracket for the rack.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pushed the rack out 1/2-3/4" to clear the glass, but now if I add the third bracket on the Morryde hinge Ill only get one bolt into the rack.

The rack is plenty strong as it is on the spare tire mounts.

Since Im now going to mount my CB antenna up front, I tossed my 15 year old camp chair up there, just need some straps.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Added extra bolts to the ammo cans to lock them down and keep from rattling.

Finally added the third bracket to the HD hinges.

I want to add a 2 locking sliding shelves to the rack. On the passenger side it would slide out and on the drivers side it would slide in to be used when the gate is open.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sorry for delay in responce

Originally Posted by ezav8tr
what rack do you have above your spare?
The rack above my spare is actually a alum. atv rack combined with ( cut to length uni strut risers or super strut some call it) bolted to my ORfab tire carrier.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Great...w&gclsrc=aw.ds I couldn't justify paying 350 -to 400 for a rack that dosent see much use. My lower rack gets a lot of use . However now lod makes a good priced one ,https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...paign=shopping
that was not avail when I wanted one .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3719 (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	671071  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-30-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: No Spare Cargo Rack