Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northridge OME Lift Pkg and Driveline Problems?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northridge OME Lift Pkg and Driveline Problems?

Just curious how many folks have had trouble with their stock drive lines after installing the Northridge OME (or any other) lift package??? I understand the long travel shocks can allow enough flex that the drive line (front?) can make contact with the exhaust system. Is this a common problem... or does it happen rarely? Thanks!!!

Last edited by Rottwheeler; 03-17-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard anything about the OME Lift package causing driveline problems.

The only thing I have heard is issues with the Automatic's with ANY LIFTS over 3" in height it. The Driveshaft boot will come in contact with the Transmission skid plate and cut the boot....thus requiring the owner to replace the stock driveshaft.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 03-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just put this package on 3 weeks ago. No problems that arent my own doing. Basically just need to get everything dialed in and adjusted. Bought a new front driveshaft anyways cause I had already trashed my stock one.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

BTW, this interference problem has nothing to do with Northridge or OME, it occurs with many lift kits with 3"+ of lift that allow long travel. It is a simple geometry issue.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default OME kt on a 2dr

I have a 2dr rubicon auto, with the LT shocks and HD springs, first flex when disconnected trashed the boot on the front driveshaft.

netted 3.25 of lift after things settled in.

Numerous posts on stock drive lines, some people are OK others had to replace with after market, go above 3 plan on it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Scroll down to post #6 here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driveshaft-vs-skid-plate-102041/
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Thanks for the link nthinuf. I have an Unlimited with a manual trans... so according to the FAQ quoted I should be okay. However, what I heard recently was a potential to contact the exhaust system at full flex. I see commentary on contact with trannies and skid plates... but nothing on the exhaust... so maybe I'm still good.

Quick Reply: Northridge OME Lift Pkg and Driveline Problems?