Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD Jscan

Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine works perfectly, when i want to monitor stuff its not bad, just bring a charging cord for your phone. the app destroys my phones battery. but very good for the $37 i spent.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Okie Dokie. You guys convinced me to try this out. Got the same BT dongle smiller linked above and received it last night. Set out playing with it. Got my BullyDog tuner uninstalled, and sure enough, easily changed my gears and tire size. One thing about this app that I was able to do with my BullyDog, but believe most tuners struggle with, is lower the TPMS alert level to whatever I wanted. Anyhow, messed with the diagnostics a bit and immediately realized I never plugged in the front passenger speaker when I replaced those couple years ago!!!

The one thing I'm having trouble with so far is just the monitoring of things. My app crashes. Granted, I literally took the dongle out of the box and started playing, so I've read nothing about this. I'm using a phone running android 7.0, so maybe the version is the issue for me. Nobody else is having an issue using the real-time monitoring features right??
Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
The one thing I'm having trouble with so far is just the monitoring of things. My app crashes. Granted, I literally took the dongle out of the box and started playing, so I've read nothing about this. I'm using a phone running android 7.0, so maybe the version is the issue for me. Nobody else is having an issue using the real-time monitoring features right??
I'm also running Android 7 and so far haven't had any problems viewing live data. One thing you might check is if you have any other Bluetooth OBD programs installed (Torque, etc.) make sure that they are completely shut down, or even force quit them to make sure they are not running. You don't want any other app contending for the Bluetooth connection when you are using Jscan.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

No apps, but is hooked to the uconnect for the radio. Think that could be running interference? I didn't have any issues using the other features. I really like this thing for ease in updating settings you'd otherwise need a programmer for, and for $35 total it's pretty crazy. The ONLY aspect of it I don't like is it being tied to a unit like a phone that will be upgraded or changed over the years, but it sure beats having to do software updates on a lot of these programmers we currently have as options. I don't think I've ever done something with my BullyDog that didn't frustrate me. Even uninstalling it last night it locked up on me once.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ok, my exuberant review was a bit premature. Drove my jeep more than just around the block last night, and it was in limp mode. It's been a long time, and I forgot how accommodating limp mode is in the '12+ auto till about 45-50mph when you can start to tell you should have shifted. My 2013 auto doesn't appear it wants to come out to play with Jscan. I'm a little confused because per the app, it looks like it is successful updating the gearing and tire size. I re-installed my BullyDog last night. Might continue to play with this thing. Either way, I don't consider it wasted money if I can't get it to work as the diagnostics portion of the app appears to be pretty powerful.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, I have the 12 and mine hasent gotten weird on me yet. but i am also connected to wifi when i was updating the jeep to everything. Maybe that has an effect? Send a message to the app maker and tell him whats going on maybe he can suggest the fix. I have heard he is reasonably responsive.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get out of limp mode?

I seem to be in limp mode as well after a re-gear. Tried to set gears with JSCAN immediately after gear change.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by s42000
How did you get out of limp mode?

I seem to be in limp mode as well after a re-gear. Tried to set gears with JSCAN immediately after gear change.
I had to re-install my BullyDog tuner to set gears. I haven't messed with this much since. the JScan appeared to update my gearing when I used it, but the computer didn't seem to think it did. I'll mess with it again one of these days, but haven't had time recently.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smiller
I'm also running Android 7 and so far haven't had any problems viewing live data. One thing you might check is if you have any other Bluetooth OBD programs installed (Torque, etc.) make sure that they are completely shut down, or even force quit them to make sure they are not running. You don't want any other app contending for the Bluetooth connection when you are using Jscan.
Sometimes it depends on Android version, sometimes just hardware of bluetooth adapter. The first thing I always do before making a purchase of such things - read reviews (like this review of obd2 on https://bestforacar.com), watch 10+ videos of usage and testing of each adapter I like (on youtube, etc...). And after collecting all these necessary data - I can make a right choice.
There is no need to hurry.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know it's a little old of a thread, but anyone tried with an 08? It looks like a lot of the features are crippled on the older models such as the TPMS. I have no sensors in mine at all (don't judge) so all I really want is an affordable way to shut up that stupid light/chime. If i can fix my speedo too that's an added bonus but I have gotten fairly used to mentally correcting my speed

Quick Reply: OBD Jscan