Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd braking/ESP issue

Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd braking/ESP issue

Howdy,

I took my jeep out this past weekend and had a blast. On my way home, my ESP BAS light came on...so I kept on truckin' home and kept an eye out for anything different.

After a couple of days of sitting, I took it to the car wash to clean it up and had no problems on my way there. Once I was back on the road, I noticed that my ESP BAS light was off and thought "Oh sweet!" I made a turn on a pretty smooth road and ESP kicked in which was odd. About a mile down the road, someone was turning so I had to slow down. When I applied the brakes, it was normal until I pressed a little harder and I started feeling some vibration in the pedal. I pulled off the road and checked everything out...it looked normal. I was able to duplicate it a few more times and also had ESP kick on again randomly. I tried doing some hard stops when I was home and wasn't able to duplicate it after that.

It's really strange to me and I'm trying to figure it out. I'm going to do the ESP disable trick and see if it does anything for me.

Anyone have advice or common experiences?

By the way, it's an 07 X with 2.5" of lift and 35s. Also has a beefy front track bar and a slightly off center steering wheel. (I'm having trouble getting it perfect)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Since it seemed to be induced while turning, I would check into the clock spring. There's a lot of posts on clock spring, look those up and see if your symptoms are similar.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Re-adjust the steering wheel to center.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Re-adjust the steering wheel to center.
My first thought too.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I was overthinking the whole thing. Haha I tend to do that.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The steering wheel thing is an issue for sure, and right behind that would be a wheel speed sensor. I had the same issues with mine, right down to the car wash, and ended up throwing a few new wheel speed sensors in and it was gone. A good code reader can read historic codes and narrow the search.

Quick Reply: Odd braking/ESP issue