Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd rubbing with Rockkrawler 2.5 X-Factor

Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Odd rubbing with Rockkrawler 2.5 X-Factor

So I was under the Jeep yesterday pulling apart the rear brakes in order to fix my e-brake, when I noticed these rubbings. My bumpstop bracket has been making contact with the frame side trackbar bracket. I also noticed that the trackbar is making contact with it’s bracket on the axle side. Not much, but enough to see where it’s rubbed down the trackbar just a tad. This is more than likely what has been causing some of the squeaking during normal driving, as contact is being made on level ground. The contact with the bumpstop bracket is obviously being made during heavy articulation. Everything operates as it should, with no driveline vibrations, pulling to either side, or death wobbles. The trackbar is solid and tight. There may be a total of 5000 miles on my lift since installation. It’s not my daily driver, so it doesn’t see a lot of use. I take it on a couple of rock crawling trips a year, but no mud. I don’t beat the crap out of it on the trails either. 4WheelParts installed the lift. Could this just be that my rear control arms are adjusted a little too far out?

Note: My rear sway bar link is unbolted intentionally so I could have better access to the bolts on the caliper and the star wheel for the e-brake. All Jeep info can be found in my sig. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	553EDC74-C8C7-4A11-90A8-DC29721E0870.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	756.1 KB
ID:	675176

Last edited by jsukey; 10-01-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You have control arms not trailing arms, two different things that hold the rear axle in place. It is likely your control arms are too long or your rear axle is not centered.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

I knew they were control arms...not sure what caused my brain to type out trailing arms! That's exactly what I was thinking...the control arms are extended out a hair too far. I'll head up to 4WP on Monday and let them adjust them. I'll apply some black krylon to make sure it isn't still happening afterwards. Headed down to Marble Falls in 3 weeks for the Lone Star Fall Crawl. I'll definitely know if it's still rubbing after that trip. Thanks Dirtman!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your frame side track bar is hitting your bump stop pad. Mine contacted the stock bumpstop pad, so I cut the back half off.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

I figured that part out. I wanted to know why it’s rubbing it. Cutting the bracket doesn’t cure the trackbar itself from rubbing the bracket on the axle side during normal driving.

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Your frame side track bar is hitting your bump stop pad. Mine contacted the stock bumpstop pad, so I cut the back half off.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I hope they get it straightened out for you .
Old 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Pun intended! Haha, thanks!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I hope they get it straightened out for you .
Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me also, but after shortening the lowers completely and readjusting the uppers it still made significant contact. I cut the pad, flipped the bolt and the bolt head would still contact the tube. Even after speaking with RK and no resolve I ended up cutting the arms down by 1/2" with my bandsaw, this allowed enough reduction in length for proper clearance. It now clears by a little less than 1/4" & works great.

I'm giving you all this extra info because i also have an 07 2 door, which seems to be one of the few years and models to have the issue where the arms need cut.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:20 AM
JK Freak

Thanks Ajkaz, that's super helpful!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
I figured that part out. I wanted to know why it’s rubbing it. Cutting the bracket doesn’t cure the trackbar itself from rubbing the bracket on the axle side during normal driving.
And I explained why it's rubbing. It's contacting because it's positioned in the same area that the track bar bracket is within the suspension's range of motion. I don't understand what your question is?

Quick Reply: Odd rubbing with Rockkrawler 2.5 X-Factor