Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on best performance chip or tuner

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on best performance chip or tuner

Most everyone agrees our 4 doors are heavily lacking in the power department and I am looking to find a quick pickmeup out there. I currently have the Airaid intake and throttle body spacer and looking into the MBRP exhaust.

I would appreciate everyone's opinions who have tried the different performance chips/tuners in terms of power, ease of use, ect.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Turbo, supercharger, heads, cams, intake manifold package + longtube headers. Anything else on their own are really not going to do much for you.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

RIPP Long tube headers + MBRP cat back exhaust, Unichip or Superchip Flashpaq, and if you wanna give it a big boost but will cost ya around $5k, get the RIPP or Avenger Supercharger. Most of all the other little things you can do are pretty much worthless and not worth messing with.

If this is still not enough power, then just contact Burnsville Off Road or Cop 4x4 and slap a Hemi in it. They are practically giving Hemi installs away now!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

You don't get much with a tuner, but you do get more "driveability" since the shift points are adjusted and it no longer is always looking for a gear going up hills so it makes it feel like it has more power. As it was stated earlier, you really will need to get a supercharger or hemi for serious horsepower gains.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Kiawahgolf
Most everyone agrees our 4 doors are heavily lacking in the power department and I am looking to find a quick pickmeup out there. I currently have the Airaid intake and throttle body spacer and looking into the MBRP exhaust.

I would appreciate everyone's opinions who have tried the different performance chips/tuners in terms of power, ease of use, ect.

Thanks!
It depends on "how much" more performance you want from the rig. You already have the Airaid and are thinking about an after market exhaust. What many have said here is that the three.....the CAI, exhaust, and Superchips flashpaq combined make a noticeable difference. Will it slam you back in your seat?.........no. But for many it's enough difference to make them happy enough.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just tuned with the superchip tuner about an hour ago. Mines a two door and I went with the 91 octane setting........HUGE difference! It was said above that the shift points are changed and that is quite accurate, but it shifts quicker too (actual shift process. not rpm). Have a highway that starts at a stoplight here. Stopped and floored it. Didnt bark the tires, but didnt expect it to either, but has greater power and shifts MUCH quicker. Shifts at a higher rpm (mine around 5500) and gives the feeling of some of the sports cars that when they shift at full bore the thing takes off again and reraises the front end. Would highly recommend. Completely different vehicle now.

Airaid is the next thing I'm looking into followed by exhaust. How much difference noticed with the Airaid when you put it on?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing
Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammer002
How much difference noticed with the Airaid when you put it on?
Everyone feels a difference in the seat of the pants. This is really a weightless question that will get weightless answers though. You can't feel 5 horsepower in a 4800lb vehicle. The only way to truly know if a mod is worth it is to put it on the dyno.

All in all, exhaust (especially catback) and higher flowing intake aren't going to do much. The bottleneck is the intake manifold and cylinder heads. To make noticeable powergains, you have to improve flow through the entire airflow path, beginning to end. The catback is the least important because by the time the exhaust reaches the muffler, it's already cooled and is taking up less volume.

I'd really love to see flow numbers for the cylinder heads at different amounts of lift. If a Nissan 370z can make over 350 horsepower at the crank from a 3.7L V6, something is really choked up on the Jeep 3.8L. Now most people say "Oh but the Jeep makes low end torque". Actually, the 370z makes more torque across the entire rpm range. This is due to much better low lift flow numbers at the cylinder head. Of course, I am speculating but I've done the math and messed around with this stuff for long enough that I can make a well educated guess.

I feel that if the heads have enough material that they can be reworked without breaking through into the water passages, a ported heads, matching camshaft and extrude honed intake along with some longtube headers, high flow cats, a throttle body and some sort of free breathing intake tubing (do they even do anything ? Are they much more efficient that the factory setup with a k&n panel filter ?), some serious power gains could be made right across the rpm range. Are we going to see 350 horsepower ? Probably not. Not enough compression ratio, and the heads are probably too thin to allow for that much volume in the intake and exhaust runners. Plus the Nissan V6 redlines around 7500rpm.

However, I do feel that we could see supercharger like gains. Getting the power up in the high 200's or maybe even over 300 in naturally aspirated trim, without touching the bottom end.

So who wants to step up to the plate, tear the heads and intake off and send them down to Fox lake and have them hand ported ?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

For tuners.....Superchips
Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcole
Everyone feels a difference in the seat of the pants. This is really a weightless question that will get weightless answers though. You can't feel 5 horsepower in a 4800lb vehicle. The only way to truly know if a mod is worth it is to put it on the dyno.

All in all, exhaust (especially catback) and higher flowing intake aren't going to do much. The bottleneck is the intake manifold and cylinder heads. To make noticeable powergains, you have to improve flow through the entire airflow path, beginning to end. The catback is the least important because by the time the exhaust reaches the muffler, it's already cooled and is taking up less volume.

I'd really love to see flow numbers for the cylinder heads at different amounts of lift. If a Nissan 370z can make over 350 horsepower at the crank from a 3.7L V6, something is really choked up on the Jeep 3.8L. Now most people say "Oh but the Jeep makes low end torque". Actually, the 370z makes more torque across the entire rpm range. This is due to much better low lift flow numbers at the cylinder head. Of course, I am speculating but I've done the math and messed around with this stuff for long enough that I can make a well educated guess.

I feel that if the heads have enough material that they can be reworked without breaking through into the water passages, a ported heads, matching camshaft and extrude honed intake along with some longtube headers, high flow cats, a throttle body and some sort of free breathing intake tubing (do they even do anything ? Are they much more efficient that the factory setup with a k&n panel filter ?), some serious power gains could be made right across the rpm range. Are we going to see 350 horsepower ? Probably not. Not enough compression ratio, and the heads are probably too thin to allow for that much volume in the intake and exhaust runners. Plus the Nissan V6 redlines around 7500rpm.

However, I do feel that we could see supercharger like gains. Getting the power up in the high 200's or maybe even over 300 in naturally aspirated trim, without touching the bottom end.

So who wants to step up to the plate, tear the heads and intake off and send them down to Fox lake and have them hand ported ?
I think you should try it and tell us how it works out!

Quick Reply: Opinions on best performance chip or tuner