Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on rear 3 links?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on rear 3 links?

Looking for opinions and experiences (both good and bad) on a rear 3 link. Looking into converting my RE radius set up to a 3 link. RE makes a upgrade kit and is all bolt on which concerns me a little. I know Rock Krawler uses the rear 3 link and it does very well but it is also weld in and im not sure if it would work with my lowers. I know that if the 3 link breaks then im kinda screwed but i figured i could keep the radius uppers just in case. Any opinions or experiences would be great. Im looking to doing this in the next few weeks.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

So are you talking keeping the RE lowers and just adding the upper 3rd link?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, RE makes this kit:Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Long Arm 3-Link Suspension Upgrade Kit, Rear - RUB-RE7333.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like i just remove the radius uppers and add this 3 link.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Sometimes you have clearance issues with up travel on a 3 link because you have to run the upper so high on the axle to get decent geometry. What are you trying to gain by going to a 3 link? I ran a 3 link rear for about a year and went back to a 4 link for strength. I still run a front 3 link.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Sometimes you have clearance issues with up travel on a 3 link because you have to run the upper so high on the axle to get decent geometry. What are you trying to gain by going to a 3 link? I ran a 3 link rear for about a year and went back to a 4 link for strength. I still run a front 3 link.
Im looking to get rid of the binding and bushing issue with these arms. My bushings are on there way out and for the price of this kit i figured i could run it until i had the funds and cash for a nice 4 link. I have also thought about just adding the upper arms in a 4 link design but the way the lowers mount there is no room for an upper and to have the proper geometry. I also still have the stock upper mounts on the frame but i know running short arms there with longer lowers will cause issues. I really just dont want to bite the bullet yet and get a whole new set up.

Quick Reply: Opinions on rear 3 links?