Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Rear tire carrier

Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Rear tire carrier

Hi guys!

Just wanted to have thoughts on tire carriers. I am in the market for my JK and there are a lot of options out there. I was wondering if you could post your experiences with the ones you have. I was partial to the Metalcloak one but I am open to sugestions!

From what I have read so far, it seems to be the one that is the best built. I espacially like the double bearing set up and lower total height. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evad
Hi guys!

Just wanted to have thoughts on tire carriers. I am in the market for my JK and there are a lot of options out there. I was wondering if you could post your experiences with the ones you have. I was partial to the Metalcloak one but I am open to sugestions!

From what I have read so far, it seems to be the one that is the best built. I espacially like the double bearing set up and lower total height. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?
While I highly appreciate Metal Cloaks' suspension and other parts, I'm much less enthusiastic about the design concept of their rear bumper & tire carrier.
The hinge is located at the corner, where it sticks out, exposed and vulnerable.
The same goes for the support beam, and the lock at the other end.
The bumper should be solid and able to survive hard hits by rocks or whatever.
The moving parts should be protected above the bumper, and not the outer-most part that that gets hit when, say, the Jeep slides back against a rock, or rear-ended in an accident.

I especially like the double bearing set up
Double bearings are far from being unique to Metal Cloak.
My less expensive Bestop HighRock rear bumper & tire carrier has a very massive double-bearing hinge, in fact stronger and better made than the Metal Cloak hinge.

Last edited by GJeep; 03-20-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
While I highly appreciate Metal Cloaks' suspension and other parts, I'm much less enthusiastic about the design concept of their rear bumper & tire carrier.
The hinge is located at the corner, where it sticks out, exposed and vulnerable.
The same goes for the support beam, and the lock at the other end.
The bumper should be solid and able to survive hard hits by rocks or whatever.
The moving parts should be protected above the bumper, and not the outer-most part that that gets hit when, say, the Jeep slides back against a rock, or rear-ended in an accident.

Double bearings are far from being unique to Metal Cloak.
My less expensive Bestop HighRock rear bumper & tire carrier has a very massive double-bearing hinge, in fact stronger and better made than the Metal Cloak hinge.
I did not know about the Bestop products, definatly have to look them up. A quick search showed me 2 models, which one do you have? And how was the install? Got any pics?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Metalcloak tire carrier and I like the hinge being on the side. The 35 I have hanging off the back sits lower than the stock tire, so I can still see out the back. That hinge is beefy too. You're going to break the bumper off the frame before the hinge breaks. I've only ever hit the hitch while off roading.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I have the Metalcloak tire carrier and I like the hinge being on the side. The 35 I have hanging off the back sits lower than the stock tire, so I can still see out the back. That hinge is beefy too. You're going to break the bumper off the frame before the hinge breaks. I've only ever hit the hitch while off roading.

Did you install it yourself ? If so how was it? any pics?

I was wondering about the locking mechanism. I can never seem to get a good look of it on the net. How does it stand up? pretty secure? Easy to operate?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen the TeraFlex Tire Carrier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpzXGHNgW8
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not know about the Bestop products, definatly have to look them up. A quick search showed me 2 models, which one do you have? And how was the install? Got any pics?
Sorry, this is the only rear bumper picture I have...:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-09 - Neve Shalom.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	602170

However, this is the one:

Name:	BestTop Rear Bumper.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	602173

The install was straight forward, good fit, no problems.

The tire carrier is connected to the rear gate, so opening the gate opens the carrier - no need to open them separately.
I have it for about 2 yrs of DD and offroading and it works just fine, no rattling or noise.

It came with a roller, which rolls over rock steps, instead of dragging the bumper over them. I tried it, it works nicely, so I left it on.
There are those who don't like it and cut the 2 D-rings off.
I wasn't aware of the roller when I ordered the bumper, and am not sure if it comes with it, or is the roller an option.

Name:	BestTop Rear Bumper -- Roller.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	602174

BTW, it also came with a LED third brake light that sits in the middle of the wheel.

Links --

Bestop

This is the one I have:

Bestop

Last edited by GJeep; 03-20-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install it yourself ? If so how was it? any pics?

I was wondering about the locking mechanism. I can never seem to get a good look of it on the net. How does it stand up? pretty secure? Easy to operate?
I installed my self. I put one of the bearing races in upside down first, so the arm had a lot of play in it. I replaced the bearing and put it in the right way, and it latches just fine. I did have to shave the bumpstops a bit to get it to solidly latch without slamming it. It is secure and very strong. I can stand on the end of the arm when it's open with no problems.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever wheel, you will not want your spare tire LOWER than the stock one.... Good bye carrier and possibly tailgate.

I've run the OR-Fab one for 4 years and it's solid. Never rattles. You can adjust the tension on the hinges so it won't swing open or close wildly. They have a jerry can version and a non-can version as well. This is Yate's from OR-Fabs JK I believe.

The other nice thing about their carrier is that you can run any aftermarket rear bumper you want to, or keep your stock one.

Last edited by aermotor; 03-20-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I prefer the Teraflex myself.

A couple reasons: I had a swing away on my last jeep and grew weary of having to negotiate it every time I opened the back (KISS), and I can use any rear bumper.

Edit: I don't wheel hardcore rocks, and my Jeep is my DD. This was the best fit for me.

Last edited by mikejr; 03-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Rear tire carrier