Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Rear tire carrier

Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the terraflex HD hinge on my JK. I really like it, and it's heavy duty and well built. Mine isn't a mall crawler, I hit the trails and it's super sturdy and well made. I am still running the stock bumper until I trash it. When the time comes, because I went with the HD hinge, I have a lot more options for the rear bumper. Despite my best efforts, The dents i've been putting in my stock bumper on the corners keep pulling out. I have a hole drilled in each one, and I stick an allen wrench in the hole when I smash it and pull it out. After the sun hits the plastic for a little while, it eventually goes back to it's stock shape and you can't even tell it was smashed.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you ok with a swing open tire carrier? If so I love my aluminum Genright tire carrier(it's the look I was after and smaller then the EVO set up)
I was all set to buy the Teraflex one BUT after reading how many were cracking at the welds I stayed clear ..... I KNOW they apparently fixed the problem area but I just didn't trust it..... Don't want my spare flying off on the hiway killing someone behind me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3986453331.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	602179   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-915439155.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	602180  
Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Are you ok with a swing open tire carrier? If so I love my aluminum Genright tire carrier(it's the look I was after and smaller then the EVO set up)
I was all set to buy the Teraflex one BUT after reading how many were cracking at the welds I stayed clear ..... I KNOW they apparently fixed the problem area but I just didn't trust it..... Don't want my spare flying off on the hiway killing someone behind me.
I read this as well, I'm curious if this was a real problem of a bunch of hype... Mine's held up fine despite some pretty hard drops.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are alot of great choices.

i have gone through my fair share of tire carriers.

on my newest jeep build i went with Ace Engineering's tire carrier. wow! i would definitely consider this one! its really stout and well made, i have installed alot of different bumpers/carrier a proper fitting product gains much praise from me!
for this particular build, i had to have a carrier that was connected to the tailgate door and im extremely pleased.

Depending what size tire you plan to run will effect your visibility. If opening the carrier and then the tail gate doesnt bother you, I really liked my OR-Fab, properly adjusted you wont have to adjust the carrier each time to close/lock it down. you will run into carriers that every time you go to close it you have to either lift it up a bit or push hard to latch.

I would consider, what tire size, how are you going to use your rig? hard trails, you'll want a strong bumper to take a beating. trail riding something best of all and over-landing accessories etc.

also, if you require a hitch!

companies are making some really awesome products, i remember the days where no matter what your carrier was gonna be a pain to close and rattle like crazy.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evad
Did you install it yourself ? If so how was it? any pics?
Here's some pics now that I'm at my computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 08.44.31.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	602194 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_191449.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	602195
Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3838787591.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	602199

Tera Flex for me. I haven't read or heard anything about welds cracking on this carrier until I read this thread. Does anyone have any pics of these so called cracked welds? I'm now trying to decide on the rear bumper, for all the tire carrier combos out there all the ones I liked we're like 1100-1500 which is way out of my price range which is why I ended up going with the Tera Flex carrier. Granted with a bumper added to this ill probably still be close to 1100 but I wasn't ready to shell out the $$ all at once.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered this morning the new rancho bumper Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier - NEW - rockGEAR? - Jeep JK rockGEAR? - rockGEAR? - Rancho® Performance Products
I was not sure between this and the teraflex... I decide to try the rancho its about the same price if you compare the teraflex and you have a bumper hilift mount, cb antenna and the carrier open with the tail gate! all for less than 900$ ( the minimal look is not for every one but I love it! )
Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madmaths
I ordered this morning the new rancho bumper Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier - NEW - rockGEAR? - Jeep JK rockGEAR? - rockGEAR? - Rancho® Performance Products
I was not sure between this and the teraflex... I decide to try the rancho its about the same price if you compare the teraflex and you have a bumper hilift mount, cb antenna and the carrier open with the tail gate! all for less than 900$ ( the minimal look is not for every one but I love it! )
Good luck and enjoy it
Old 03-20-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OR Fab
no complaints , non jerry can version . Though i think it would be nice to have that option sometimes, however it dosent hang out as far and you can add jerry can holder later if desired
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212 (2).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	602223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	602225  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-20-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evad
Hi guys!

Just wanted to have thoughts on tire carriers. I am in the market for my JK and there are a lot of options out there. I was wondering if you could post your experiences with the ones you have.
If you have a moment take a look at our RH-5001 Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.

Like the MC you're looking at, ours has a double bearing and race hub so even with a 40" tire it does not sag. We include 1" wide recovery tabs, tow rated receiver, adjustable height spare tire mount (both horizontal and vertical adjustment), hi-lift jack mount, cb antenna mount, and the whole bumper ships powder coated, ready for install.

Our bumper base is 1/4" thick, making it one of the heaviest duty bumpers on the market.

Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2015 [RH-5001]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsmPR_fRns

Quick Reply: Opinions on Rear tire carrier