Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Rear tire carrier

Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Teraflex HD last w/e with a buddy. It was incredibly easy, and it's design is excellent. Everything fits exactly, no rattles, and it is SOLID. I must admit that I didn't expect it to be that well designed. It greatly exceeded my initial expectations. I also had it sent out through a rep here on the forum from ORW to the Great White North, Canada. Service was top-notch, price was very right, and product is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by BlazeJK; 03-20-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejr

I read this as well, I'm curious if this was a real problem of a bunch of hype... Mine's held up fine despite some pretty hard drops.
There was a lot of pics posted so it wasn't hype BUT as I mentioned they apparently fixed the problem...... If the OP wants the Teraflex one he should be patient cause someone's always selling one out here every few weeks....... And for the record I'm not bashing Teraflex I love their stuff I have their lift and it's held up well the last 4yrs + ...... I've done Moab, Rausch Creek and some hard trails here in Ontario Canada as well.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the input !

I guess i'm still on the fence for the bumper/tire carrier. There are a lot of great products out there for sure and since my rig is for now a mainly DD, I still have to think about the best fit. One thing I was always worried about was putting the weight of a tire carrier and tire on the rear tub. I suppose the diferent compagnies did there research and I haven't seen anything yet about a Customer the had problems with misalignement of the rear door.

I had that exact problem on my old TJ. The hinges for the door would not do the job correctly of keeping everything aligned. I guess I am more inclinded to trust a tire carrier that has the weight on the bumper with a solid bearing system.

That being said. I am looking for a system that will eventually have 35" to carry around. For now, I will only be putting around 33". (Can't do the whole lift kit and tires yet $$$) I have to build her up piece by piece towards what I want her to end up as. So the more I change her, the more the trails I try will be hard ! Up here "in the great white north" as some of you say, I get all kinds of trails. (rocky, muddy, Snowy, sandy, etc)

And another thing ! I was wondering if anyone has made a tailgate mod for the rear door that opens like a pickup tailgate? If so, what system did you use? That IS something I might do in the futur so an on bumper tire carrier will be my choice.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

You might give Poison Spyder a look. I have the Rock Brawler ll and really like it. I did the install with only a couple of small issues.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Another vote for Teraflex! I've been rocking it on my rig for a little over a year and I love it!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Teraflex HD hinged carrier - hands down best carrier option out right now. Love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2281502983.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	602313
Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my TF carrier, holds my 37 solid as a rock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3559303481.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	602314  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
Good luck and enjoy it
Good luck?? any problem with the rancho bumper? thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by elitecontrol
There are alot of great choices.

i have gone through my fair share of tire carriers.

on my newest jeep build i went with Ace Engineering's tire carrier. wow! i would definitely consider this one! its really stout and well made, i have installed alot of different bumpers/carrier a proper fitting product gains much praise from me!
for this particular build, i had to have a carrier that was connected to the tailgate door and im extremely pleased.

Depending what size tire you plan to run will effect your visibility. If opening the carrier and then the tail gate doesnt bother you, I really liked my OR-Fab, properly adjusted you wont have to adjust the carrier each time to close/lock it down. you will run into carriers that every time you go to close it you have to either lift it up a bit or push hard to latch.

I would consider, what tire size, how are you going to use your rig? hard trails, you'll want a strong bumper to take a beating. trail riding something best of all and over-landing accessories etc.

also, if you require a hitch!

companies are making some really awesome products, i remember the days where no matter what your carrier was gonna be a pain to close and rattle like crazy.

I have to say I am getting a lot of product suggestions I didn't even know about ! I confess Im not a big internet shoper (meaning i dont spend a lot of time online shopping) and so I haven't been around all the available products. Ace seems to have designed a nice bumper there, just went through the install video and I have to say I like what I see.

Anyone else have the Ace Engeneering tire carrier?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

i love my metalcloak rear bumper/tire carrier for a lot of reasons. rock solid, extremely low mount point so even with 35 i have same visibility out the back as stock. it hugs right up against the tailgate.

my one complaint and this just comes with experience, really think hard about whether you want another button/release/whatever to get to the tailgate. having to swing open the wheel first then the tailgate gets annoying. i thought i would be ok with it and i am, but if i could go back, i might do it differently. i dunno, change my mind every day.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Rear tire carrier