Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options... Options...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options... Options...

Well last Sunday I went offroading with a buddy of mine and in the process I ended up doing some decent damage to my front axle housing. I'm looking at either replacing it with a stock Chrysler dana 44, repairing mine and welding in gussets and trusses to strengthen it, or purchasing a dynatrac 44 and putting my gears and lockers in it. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and get it back on the road asap. I'd like different people's opinions that have been through something similar, and would also like to hear more suggestions if there's something that maybe I'm not thinking of.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't inspected everything yet, but here is a list of the known damages as of right now:
Front passenger shock is shot
sway bar links are shot
Lower passenger control arm is bent
lower passenger control arm bracket that attaches to the axle housing is broke
upper passenger control arm bracket that attaches to the axle housing is bent
both front axle shafts are broken (the ears)
trackbar may be bent
tie rod may be bent
passenger C may be bent

As of right now I don't know if the axle tube is bent or not... gonna look in to that this weekend.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MountainJKUnlimited
I haven't inspected everything yet, but here is a list of the known damages as of right now:
Front passenger shock is shot
sway bar links are shot
Lower passenger control arm is bent
lower passenger control arm bracket that attaches to the axle housing is broke
upper passenger control arm bracket that attaches to the axle housing is bent
both front axle shafts are broken (the ears)
trackbar may be bent
tie rod may be bent
passenger C may be bent

As of right now I don't know if the axle tube is bent or not... gonna look in to that this weekend.
Damn, what did you do to cause all that damage? Those would be some interesting pics!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I came down on a rock pretty hard on the front passenger side... I'm just glad I didn't roll...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

To me it looks like you have little choice but to replace the housing. Good time for new control arms as well. That was a hard hit.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainJKUnlimited
Well last Sunday I went offroading with a buddy of mine and in the process I ended up doing some decent damage to my front axle housing. I'm looking at either replacing it with a stock Chrysler dana 44, repairing mine and welding in gussets and trusses to strengthen it, or purchasing a dynatrac 44 and putting my gears and lockers in it. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and get it back on the road asap. I'd like different people's opinions that have been through something similar, and would also like to hear more suggestions if there's something that maybe I'm not thinking of.
There is no way to not sound self-serving but I can't see how doing the Chrysler housing option will end up cheaper than a PR. The housing won't be cheap and you've already said you'll be adding dollars to beef it up. Even once you've done the usual additions, all the stock brackets are still weak and your caster angle isn't good. The ProRock 44 Unlimited is the best financially sound option.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

If your looking at getting it fixed asap I would check with David at Northridge 4X4 for the PR44. Last time I was there he had them in stock. You probably won't be able to beat the price either
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up ordering the Pro Rock 44 with RCV axles. I'll post pics when I get everything in.

Quick Reply: Options... Options...