Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering lift in about an hour need some help

Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you lift a vehicle, the axles move towar eachother because of the connected arms, the new adjustible arms can let you push the axles back to the center of the wheel well. Not really important on a 4 door because the wheel base is so long, but on the 2 door it is best to have as much room in between the axles as possible.

i think (im learning too)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jangle
Last question, should/would I really need the 3" premium suspension or the 3" econo lift, given I do have the unlimited 2x4 and pretty much will be driving on the highway? What do the new control arms allow you to acheive?
No. You DONT need the premium suspension.
Your not going off roading! So all you need is 33''s
Old 01-04-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

do u have to cut the air dam to put on 33"

cause i dont want to do that if i dont have to q
Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

I have a silly question...

WHY IN THE CRAP would you buy a 2x4 jeep!!!

For that matter, why would DC EVER produce a 2x4 jeep!!! AUH the humanity..

And then you want to Lift it?!?!?!? WTF for?!?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine

If he does not plan on going offroad, and does not live in a heavy winter snow area, why would he need a 4WD? ... He said this is going to be a family vehicle I believe.... mine will never go offroad, I just like jeeps....for the fun factor, being able to take the top, you can tow small loads,..it can't be beat for the price.

As far as lifting...I believe we all want to drive around in a cool ride, otherwise we would have bought Kia's.... the bigger tires just add to the cool factor
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Ah, get off the guy's back. If you guys want to yell, then go yell at the guy wanting to put on 40's just to impress his neighbors.

But, actually, 2K2, you're not entirely correct either. A 3 inch lift and 33's ARE actually enough to throw off his caster angle, and could cause his steering to be shifty. Maybe only by a degree or two, but enough to make a difference in a vehicle that's gonna be driven on the highway carrying his family. The non-adjustable arms could be perfect length; I'm sure you've got all the numbers in front of you, though, showing alignment limitations and technicalities.

Driveshaft angle's not what we're talking about here. A 3 inch extended arm will alter the driveshaft angle, but all that's gonna do is cause vibration. He doesn't have a front driveshaft to wobble (which wouldn't matter for 4x4's either unless they were in 4HI on the highway). And the rear shouldn't wobble greatly with a 3-inch extended arm, either. (Which would be nice if someone reported.....) However, you are correct that a 4-door, having a longer wheelbase, would be less affected.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wladziu
But, actually, 2K2, you're not entirely correct either. A 3 inch lift and 33's ARE actually enough to throw off his caster angle, and could cause his steering to be shifty. Maybe only by a degree or two, but enough to make a difference in a vehicle that's gonna be driven on the highway carrying his family. The non-adjustable arms could be perfect length; I'm sure you've got all the numbers in front of you, though, showing alignment limitations and technicalities.
Exactly. A 3" Economy kit is just that, an economical kit that'll get you riding higher off the ground, great on the trail and ready to be upgraded in the future. Now, if you're looking for a quality ride on and off the pavement, you really should consider a kit that'll come with lower control arms (reposition your axles under your Jeep), adjustable upper front control arms (adjust your caster back to stock) and an adjustable front track bar (recenter your axle and prevent tracking). Need I say, compaines like Full Traction offer a Premium and Ultimate kits for a reason

Driveshaft angle's not what we're talking about here. A 3 inch extended arm will alter the driveshaft angle, but all that's gonna do is cause vibration.
Not exactly, the new CV style drive shafts shouldn't give you vibes but the increased angle can cause the boot to wear out and eventually cause the joint to fail.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, you're right. I forget that they're non u-jointed.

It's gonna be interesting to see how folks treat those. From what I've heard, at reasonable lift amounts, they can actually be superior as long as they're maintained. But, there are clearance issues with them, of course.

I'm also wrong in that you won't be able to disengage the front driveshaft on the 4x4 models, because of the lack of selectable hubs.

Thanks for the correction.
By the way, WOL, swing over by my thread in the stock room, please, and answer a few questions.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Marine

That was not a silly question.......it was stupid question.

DC is producing it, and my freind, they are selling them.

As for all with two wheel drive Jeep's welcome to the site!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
ya but you should be able to change caster with cam bolts right? i'm pretty sure that's how i did it in my TJ . . . i can't remember . . . .
Yes, you most certainly can, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Cam bolts have a reputation of never staying on tight enough and always come loose. In fact, that's why Jeep stopped putting them on TJ's from the factory back in 97... in other words, the first year the TJ came out.

Quick Reply: Ordering lift in about an hour need some help