Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better brakes

Old 01-11-2020, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Better brakes

Have a 17JKU and it’s time to change the brakes, I’m looking for a better brake set up with more stopping power. Don’t want to go to a bigger brake set up(if I don’t have to) just better components than stock. What do you guys run?
Old 01-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm using the PowerStop z36 tow brakes and they seem to bite harder than stock. Mr T. and Rednroll have looked deeper into pad compound and can give you advice on what you to look for. I think a particular Raybestos pad was the silver bullet for Mr. T., I believe they're still in my Amazon cart for trying out later.
The following users liked this post:
murdoc319 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Hawk LTS is my vote. I posted on here before about them. I've changed many brakes in my life. When I put the hawk lts on my 2012 Jku it was the only time I said - wow, the brake pads really improved my stopping performance. Now, having said that, they generated a lot of dust which I did not like.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Hawk LTS is my vote. I posted on here before about them. I've changed many brakes in my life. When I put the hawk lts on my 2012 Jku it was the only time I said - wow, the brake pads really improved my stopping performance. Now, having said that, they generated a lot of dust which I did not like.
great thanks, what rotors did you use?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm using the PowerStop z36 tow brakes and they seem to bite harder than stock. Mr T. and Rednroll have looked deeper into pad compound and can give you advice on what you to look for. I think a particular Raybestos pad was the silver bullet for Mr. T., I believe they're still in my Amazon cart for trying out later.
I was looking at the z36 package cause I just bought a camper and definitely need more stopping power. The JKU does not go off-road have a YJ for that, so I’m not worried about the cross drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd-go-around
great thanks, what rotors did you use?
I kept the factory rotors. They were in fine shape so I didn't change them. Just put the pads on.

Quick Reply: Better brakes