Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P06DD Code

Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P06DD Code

Hey guys, so i got the dreaded code recently on my 2012 JKU. The shop i took it to replaced the oil sending unit and tested the oil pump and says the correct voltage was read when testing and driving. So they thought it was fixed. 90 miles later it came on and they decided to first ask for a 2nd opinion from a dealer before replacing more things and costing me more money. The dealer says the oil filter was put in backwards. Is this possible? I don't think that is and wondering if they are just bs me. I'm picking up the jeep later so i guess we'll see if it comes back. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

incorrect oil filter or install can cause that code, they should have checked that last time. if it comes back you need an oil pump
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nuke-blue
incorrect oil filter or install can cause that code, they should have checked that last time. if it comes back you need an oil pump
Long story short, it's been into the dealership 2 times, 1st time reset code then it came back on 30 miles later, then they said oil change which they did and cost me 300 bucks for diagnoise and i eventually gave up on that dealership as they weren't too helpful at all. Took it to a jeep shop and they replaced the oil sending unit, and tested oil pump and said oil pump was good. The shop was helpful and did good work. Code came back after 90 miles and they wanted to take the jeep to a another dealer for a 2nd look before doing anymore repairs. The new dealer said who ever did the oil change (which was a jeep dealer) put in the oil filter the wrong way. I know i'm gonna have to bring it back which is frustrating. Anyone know why it's throwing the code even tho the oil pump is reading the correct voltage during load and at different temp?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

What exactly were they smoking when they said someone put the oil filter wrong? How can you put an oil filter wrong? It's like saying someone threaded a bolt wrong. It can only go in 1 way.

As for the code, did anyone check the wiring?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
What exactly were they smoking when they said someone put the oil filter wrong? How can you put an oil filter wrong? It's like saying someone threaded a bolt wrong. It can only go in 1 way.

Tell me about it. Drove home amd light came on next day so bringing it back in tomorrow. What wiring are you referring too. I can ask them to check that if the wiring is a common problem as well.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DRKKGHT
Tell me about it. Drove home amd light came on next day so bringing it back in tomorrow. What wiring are you referring too. I can ask them to check that if the wiring is a common problem as well.

Thanks
Hey so what ever happened? What's the exciting conclusion?

I have a PO66D code show up last week. Changed the oil and replaced the filter.

Code came back.

Is it the oil pump that needs to be replaced?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

My experience with p06DD. 2013 jku, happened first time 11/17. I was going up on ramp to interestate, check engine light and would not go past 3000 rpm. After stopping and restarting everything was fine. Check engine light went away after 2 days. Happened again 1 mos later. Checked oil level, about 1/4 quart low. Thought I had found the problem, cel went away. One mos later same thing. I have read all the forums and was ready to replace oil pump ( it is sitting in my garage). I have always used mopar filters and change oil on regular basis. I finally decided to try one more thing. I bought a k&n oil filter(seemed like a tighter fit than mopar) and unplugged negative battery cable for about 1 hr. It has been fine since. Before I replaced the oil filter with k&n the P06DD code was occurring on a weekly basis. If it happens again I am going to replace the oil pump.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

As I agree that it might be physically impossible to install the filter upside down, you might get a code if you use an aftermarket filter. Using an STP filter immediately gave me the check engine light with the P06DD code. Upon pulling the filter out immediately after (I suspected) I find that the filter was 'crunched'. My advice to anyone doing their own oil changes, use Mopar filters. If you take it in somewhere, demand they use a Mopar filter.

STP filter on the top (notice the distortion on the filter), Mopar filter on the bottom.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

I could not help but NOTICE.. the top filter is for a 2012-2013 3.6l... the Mopar (bottom) is for a 2014 & newer 3.6l..
Old 01-13-2020, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
I could not help but NOTICE.. the top filter is for a 2012-2013 3.6l... the Mopar (bottom) is for a 2014 & newer 3.6l..
I kid you not, Autozone's computer system 'said' it would fit the 2014 Jeep. I had already thrown away the original filter a day before and couldn't remember the makeup or configuration.

When I complained to Autozone, they looked at me glassy eyed and said "The computer says this STP filter is the direct replacement for your year of Jeep.", to which I replied "Just give me the Mopar filter."

Last edited by Rubicon_John; 01-13-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added year of Jeep for clarity

Quick Reply: P06DD Code