Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Can I Get the Tailgate Hinge Bolts off that wont Budge

Old 12-15-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Can I Get the Tailgate Hinge Bolts off that wont Budge

Im trying to get my talegaite hinge bolts off to install the Smittybilt Spare Tire Carrier. The bolts wouldnt come off after applying torque spray so I’m in the processes of trying to drill them off. Anyone have any better ideas of how i can get this SOB off? Or a what method you used to get them off. Thanks! (I plan on buying new door hinge bolts from jeep once i finally get them off)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

use some heat they have locktite on them from the factory. a pencil type propane torch.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

also the nuts float behind the sheet metal so drilling probably is not going to go well.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
use some heat they have locktite on them from the factory. a pencil type propane torch.
Tried. Just keeps stripping it. :(
Old 12-15-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
Im trying to get my talegaite hinge bolts off to install the Smittybilt Spare Tire Carrier. The bolts wouldnt come off after applying torque spray so I’m in the processes of trying to drill them off. Anyone have any better ideas of how i can get this SOB off? Or a what method you used to get them off. Thanks! (I plan on buying new door hinge bolts from jeep once i finally get them off)
Wait, are you trying to remove the bolts from the tailgate or the body? And did you say that you stripped the bolt heads?

I am just curious because I had no problems. I think I used an impact wrench to get them off, but nothing as severe as it sounds for your situation. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister
Wait, are you trying to remove the bolts from the tailgate or the body? And did you say that you stripped the bolt heads?

I am just curious because I had no problems. I think I used an impact wrench to get them off, but nothing as severe as it sounds for your situation. Good luck!
The hinge star bolts that connect the tailgating to the car. The ones that are under the plastic. They just wouldn’t budge so we used a grinder to cut them off. So far it worked for the top one. Took about an hour just for that and now we’re doing the bottom one which will most likely take just as long. I bought the Jeep 2 years ago, as an 09 from Canada. With age and salt roads I imagine it took a toll on the hinge as it did under the car.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to use an impact to get mine out as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

10-tricks-to-remove-stripped-stuck-bolts,this article maybe help you,https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...d-stuck-bolts/
The following users liked this post:
NevadaZielmeister (01-19-2018)

Quick Reply: How Can I Get the Tailgate Hinge Bolts off that wont Budge