Paint/Powder Coat Wheels - or keep as is?

Paint/Powder Coat Wheels - or keep as is?

JK Enthusiast

Default Paint/Powder Coat Wheels - or keep as is?

I am getting a new set of Spyderlock wheels in machined aluminum. Spyderlock has stated they don't offer the wheel in black on the 5x5.5 bolt pattern wheel. I would like to have the wheel portion black and keep the ring as machined aluminum. What would you guys suggest...paint, powder coat, or something else and why?

- If paint, do you have any idea of a specific product to use?

- If powder coat, what type of sheen?

- Any other product/finish you would recommend?

- On another note, would you just keep them as all machined aluminum on a billet silver '13 JKU.

Thanks
    '13 JKU Billet Silver, RockKrawler 3.5 Max Travel lift, JRi Shocks, Fuel Trophy Wheels w/ 315 GY Duratracs, Superchips Flashpaq, Rubi Rails, Ace Rock Sliders, sPod, JCR Front & Rear bumpers, Engo 10KS Winch, KrawlOff-road LEDs

Just my 2 cents. Without seeing your Jeep.
    I have the same color Jeep and have thought about getting my stock wheels power coated because it will last. That said. I looked at the wheels and would say, not seeing your Jeep, I would do Satin Black inter and either leave the ring silver or if you have an accent color, I have cobalt blue, do the ring that way.
    Here's something to look at: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...eels&FORM=IGRE

Good Luck!

sheen and such is personal preference, but I would choose powder coat every single day over paint in regards to wheels. Powder coat is just going to hold up so much better over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG00 View Post
    I am getting a new set of Spyderlock wheels in machined aluminum. Spyderlock has stated they don't offer the wheel in black on the 5x5.5 bolt pattern wheel. I would like to have the wheel portion black and keep the ring as machined aluminum. What would you guys suggest...paint, powder coat, or something else and why?

- If paint, do you have any idea of a specific product to use?

- If powder coat, what type of sheen?

- Any other product/finish you would recommend?

- On another note, would you just keep them as all machined aluminum on a billet silver '13 JKU.

Thanks

5X5.5? What are you putting them on? Your JK have Dana 60s?

JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    5X5.5? What are you putting them on? Your JK have Dana 60s?
    I am putting Currie VXR60s in.
    '13 JKU Billet Silver, RockKrawler 3.5 Max Travel lift, JRi Shocks, Fuel Trophy Wheels w/ 315 GY Duratracs, Superchips Flashpaq, Rubi Rails, Ace Rock Sliders, sPod, JCR Front & Rear bumpers, Engo 10KS Winch, KrawlOff-road LEDs

JK Newbie

No doubt, powdercoating is much more durable than paint. The next best option would be automotive paint.
    2011 JKU, 3.8 v6, automatic, 3.73 gears, 2.5" lift, 17x9 Eagle 197 wheels, 315/70-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

JK Enthusiast

Wheels just came in to the shop. Any last thoughts on powder coating them semi-gloss black with leaving the rings as machined aluminum or just leaving them as factory machined aluminum finish?

My rig is a '13 JKU in billet silver color.