Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting hardtop question

Old 06-10-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread as I've notice my freedom tops seemed to have faded to almost a blue/very light black color, whereas the rest of the top has not changed color through fading. Granted you dont see the top of them unless you get up there to remove them but it's pretty ghetto that they turned a bluish color on top. Not sure why the freedom tops would do it and not the rest of the top.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried to touch up the freedom panels with the OEM paint.

It took 2 cans to paint one freedom panel. They just sucked up the paint, I gave up on the second panel very quickly.
Given these are small cans of paint, but just no coverage and didn't look all that much better.

I may go my dual color options, the jeep is silver any way.

Another reference point, my top is from a 12 or 14, bought it used and put it on the 17. It was fairly dinged up, not sure how well taken care of it was before I picked it up. But how much can we really take care of these tops. Not like waxing them is even possible, the textured tops.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by inline6
I just tried to touch up the freedom panels with the OEM paint.

It took 2 cans to paint one freedom panel. They just sucked up the paint, I gave up on the second panel very quickly.
Given these are small cans of paint, but just no coverage and didn't look all that much better..
Y, that paint it more of a "touch up". I wouldn't expect to be able to paint with it in that manner. It's more of a lacquer than normal rattle can. For it's intended use of a small patch up or hiding a couple white scratches, it's good, and a perfect color match in my experience.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy had a Sahara in gloss beige color and his top stayed much cooler in the sun than my flat black top. I installed a Rugged Ridge headliner which really helped reduce the heat inside.

Quick Reply: painting hardtop question