Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting hardtop question

Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting hardtop question

ive been juggling with the idea of painting the hardtop. The Black isn’t as dark as I would like it due to sun faiding it over the years. I was going to body match paint it (black) but then saw a blue and white chief jeep and thought maybe that could work except black and white? I live in Florida so the heat even when it’s in the 60’s can get pretty hot inside the car when left outside no shade so the summers get supper hot. My question is what is how has the heat change when you painted your hardtop white compared to black and how would a black and white style chief Jeep look like or is there a photo of one? Or maybe you have 2 jeeps one black and one white, how is the difference with heat? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks
Old 06-06-2018, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad nobody answered, I want to do the same thing. I saw another thread where a guy Rhino Lined his hardtop. It looks nice, and I see on the Rhino Liner website that they offer white Rhino Liner.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I don't think I'd use Rhino/bedliner. That is going to look good until the first when dust/dirt starts to collect on it, and you will never get it to look clean again. Bedliner is just kinda that way. Doing a kevlar-type coating would be better I think, but it's stupid pricey. Painting it white would probably just be the best option, but that's not cheap either.....and it's a lot more surface you have to worry about caring for in general IMO.

How's that jeep been running after the big accident ordeal?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am willing to just paint it white, or silver. Anything to make it cooler in the blazing sun.

It runs fine now, but I had to take it back several times because the body shop did such a lousy job on it. I finally figured what the problem was while talking to their receptionist. I said something about their mechanics, and she said "We don't have any mechanics, just paint technicians and body technicians."
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

If the fender flares weren't black, I think the yellow with a white top would look pretty decent....much like the chief blue. If you notice on the Blue/White combos though, the fender flares are painted body color. I think yellow jeep, black fenders, and white top might look a little odd.

Not sure I think white/black would look like a great combo for the OP, but personal opinion.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good point. I could just paint the fenders body color.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to color match my White 2 door with Line-X. The shop advised against it because the lighter colors will yellow. I ended up painting the top white and it made a noticeable difference. I also installed hothead Headliners and that was noticeable as well but not as much. I also installed high heat rejection window tint, even on the windshield and that only made a small difference. I live in Las Vegas and the Summers get up to 11x. I've gotten heat stroke before working outside and am now more susceptible to it so any relief from the Heat is worth it for me. None of these mods made an amazing difference, but a noticeable one.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKehler
I was going to color match my White 2 door with Line-X. The shop advised against it because the lighter colors will yellow. I ended up painting the top white and it made a noticeable difference. I also installed hothead Headliners and that was noticeable as well but not as much. I also installed high heat rejection window tint, even on the windshield and that only made a small difference. I live in Las Vegas and the Summers get up to 11x. I've gotten heat stroke before working outside and am now more susceptible to it so any relief from the Heat is worth it for me. None of these mods made an amazing difference, but a noticeable one.
Good information, thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could just paint the top of the top and leave the sides black.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inline6
you could just paint the top of the top and leave the sides black.
Interesting idea. I may do a photoshop, on a picture, to see what it would look like.

Quick Reply: painting hardtop question