Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side bump stop ?

Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side bump stop ?

I have crushed two steering stabilizers in the past month. I know you jeepers out there say they are not needed and I have ran without before....been running the Dominion Offroad relocation bracket. Which I like, but .....I'm thinking about adding a 1" extended bump stop on passenger side only to stop crushing these things. Probably answered my own question any other opinions out there? Crushed three so far. SICK OF THIS .
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

It's crushing between the frame and axle tube
Old 05-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I crushed the end on mine with the Dominion bracket. I flipped the stabilizer so the shaft was on the passenger side and then I flattened out the 'cap' on that side. Once it was flattened then I didn't have anymore issues. I've since upgraded the tie rod and ditched the stabilizer completely.

Funny that you mention this because I developed a leak in my stabilizer (many miles) so I replaced it and promptly crushed the 'cap' just like I did on my original before I remembered I had to correct that issue. Again though- the stabilizer is gone and has been for a few years now without a single issue.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah. I'm thinking about removing the SS totally also..already un bolted my swaybar and it's in a pile of parts in the garage. Lol. Just Looking for a damper
Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

My bad SS is gone now. Thanks totally waste of frigging money
Old 05-30-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you guys at stock height or lifted?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Mine was 2.5" with no extended bumpstops. Pairing the correct length shock alleviated the need for them and allowed more uptravel. Removing the stabilizer was my fix

Old pic but you get the idea of what was being crushed.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Mine was 2.5" with no extended bumpstops. Pairing the correct length shock alleviated the need for them and allowed more uptravel. Removing the stabilizer was my fix Old pic but you get the idea of what was being crushed.

Hmm is this why they say to mount the stabilizer backwards from stock? So the rod end is on the passenger side? It's narrower?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Probably so. I know there was a shift in production where they flipped them out of the factory many years ago. I think I realized mine was squashed after it was too late
Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, is there anything else binding or running into anything us when the suspension compresses? While that thing hangs way out there, I'm having trouble picturing it being crushed, but maybe I would just need to see it in person. Would this be something that could easily be solved by adding a small amount of bumpstop?

I highly recommend running a stabilizer, especially with a finicky style link front end on a JK. It may ride and drive just fine, but even the factory one does a decent job at keeping the steering box from being shock loaded.

Quick Reply: Passenger side bump stop ?