Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pic request- Rustoleum bed coating spray on factory fender flares/bumper

Old 09-10-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pic request- Rustoleum bed coating spray on factory fender flares/bumper

Hey all
I stubbied my bumper (VDP) and was thinking about hitting it with rustoleum bed coating because the end caps are much darker than my faded bumper. Anyone have pics of what this looks like? i found maybe one picture looking online.

I am also curious as to how well the Rustoleum bed liner matches the factory fenders (flat black plastic). I am pretty OCD and know that if the bumper doesnt match the fenders very well after i bedline it...i will end up having to bedline the fenders too so it all matches up. My factory fenders arent faded too bad and look new when cleaned up.

Last question....is it hard to get parts clean that have been painted with rustoleum bed liner? i hear the texture is pretty smooth so hopefully its not to hard to keep clean..

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this recently. I did 2 coats on bumpers/flares. Looks/feels excellent. Exactly the look I wanted.

I know they aren't the best pictures but everything is very even. I removed the flares, painted on saw horses. I taped plastic over my jeep to do the bumpers.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chapman89
I just did this recently. I did 2 coats on bumpers/flares. Looks/feels excellent. Exactly the look I wanted.

I know they aren't the best pictures but everything is very even. I removed the flares, painted on saw horses. I taped plastic over my jeep to do the bumpers.
Wow, they look really good! Have you noticed if they are any harder to wash and keep "clean" because of the more rough texture of the bedliner?

....i hear removing the fender flares is a HUGE PITA.

Thanks!

anyone else?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Did you do any sort of prep to the flares and bumpers? I'm planning to do this soon with rusto bedliner but don't know whether I should just spray them, sand then spray, or sand, prime, then spray...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Removing the flares wasn't hard at all, just time consuming if you don't want to break clips(which you will...haha)

As far as prep goes. I washed with dawn dish soap and scrubbed well. Once dried, I wiped down with mineral spirits and a clean rag. I didn't bother sanding since these flares have a decent factory texture for the bed liner to bond to. The bed liner applies easy, just don't glob it. Again, I did two solid coats and baked them in the hot sun for the afternoon to ensure they cured.

Regarding your question about cleaning. Yes, they tend to stain more so than I thought in between washes. Not from rain necessarily but mud puddles. I use a mild scrub brush to clean during washes.

I definitely recommend it. It made my 2011 look newer. I was so sick of the blotchy faded bumpers and flares. They also seem to take hits pretty well, I've rubbed my bumpers/flares on packed red mud/rocks, trees, etc. No peeling or "damage".

Last edited by Chapman89; 09-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Removing the flares wasn't hard at all, just time consuming if you don't want to break clips(which you will...haha)

As far as prep goes. I washed with dawn dish soap and scrubbed well. Once dried, I wiped down with mineral spirits and a clean rag. I didn't bother sanding since these flares have a decent factory texture for the bed liner to bond to. The bed liner applies easy, just don't glob it. Again, I did two solid coats and baked them in the hot sun for the afternoon to ensure they cured.

Regarding your question about cleaning. Yes, they tend to stain more so than I thought in between washes. Not from rain necessarily but mud puddles. I use a mild scrub brush to clean during washes.

I definitely recommend it. It made my 2011 look newer. I was so sick of the blotchy faded bumpers and flares. They also seem to take hits pretty well, I've rubbed my bumpers/flares on packed red mud/rocks, trees, etc. No peeling or "damage".
Thansk Chapman! I appreciate the detailed response. If i take the fenders off (which i would if i painted them) i will probably just rip all the "christmas tree" clips off and buy new ones. As you said, its impossible to NOT break them or at least tear them up.

In regards to the cleaning, i fully expect them to "hold dirt" between washes but i guess my question is "when you wash them, are you able to wash them so they are clean" or is it one of those things that once they get dirty, you can never clean them so they look "new" again.

Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i think its about the best match youl find

in my opinion .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039 (2).jpg
Views:	482
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	575435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793 (3).jpg
Views:	474
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	575436  
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
in my opinion .
ya that looks really good. I have a new rear bumper/tire carrier showing up tomorrow. Its powder coated as is but i am strongly considering giving it a rustoleum bed liner job before installing. I just like the color and texture better than the powdercoat. My only concern is it being a PITA to get the bedliner clean when it comes time for a wash. I like to keep my jeep nice and clean unless i am getting it nice and muddy

Last edited by mpthompson84; 09-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default it not to bad really

it washes up ok ,if you use a soft bristle brush or just a wash rag and dawn dish soap I use lol ive never used car wash soap or anything . I would suggest before you just spray paint it . Wipe it down with alcohol (not ) but beer might work try to use rubbing alcohol
then hit it with a couple of coats of etching primer from rustoleum too found at wal mart . It will look like this (see photo) then give it two or three coats of bed liner ~ if plastic im not sure the lasting performance of bed liner on plastic its a perfect match of factory plastic fenders with the rustoleum bedliner , good luck with your project .post pic when done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9802 (2).jpg
Views:	344
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	575507   Click image for larger version

Name:	4YLC3_AS01.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	575508  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-13-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't think about priming them first, probably not a bad idea though.

About the washing, dawn does work the best in my opinion. The dirt around here comes out easy enough.

Quick Reply: pic request- Rustoleum bed coating spray on factory fender flares/bumper