Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinch seam trimming

Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinch seam trimming

I have a 2014 JKURX (the special edition they made in 14 that is the same as the 10a and the hard rock). I recently put 37s on it and they rub when fully stuffed. I have bought some new rear bump stops but they haven't been delivered yet. I am curious if anyone here has trimmed the pinch seam more than it already is from the factory? The way I understand it is that the 14s came with the seam already trimmed, but I may decide to trim it some more to stop rubbing. How much more can be trimmed off? What is a good way to touch it up afterwards? What tools did you use to trim it?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, the part that needs to be trimmed is just above where it is already trimmed and angled.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-seams-342885/

Cut what you need to cut. There's a guy who cut in between all of the spot welds to fit 37's stock. It's not necessarily the best idea, but it works.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-seams-342885/

Cut what you need to cut. There's a guy who cut in between all of the spot welds to fit 37's stock. It's not necessarily the best idea, but it works.
That's what I did and it's a good idea. Cut between the spot welds then hammer it over. That folds the seam over without cutting into the actual tub. Once painted over its unnoticible and really opens up that area.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by sellnotsale
That's what I did and it's a good idea. Cut between the spot welds then hammer it over. That folds the seam over without cutting into the actual tub. Once painted over its unnoticible and really opens up that area.
+1 for this. Cut and then hammer it down rather than just cutting it off (like i did...ugh). Also, it's kinda pricey for 5oz, but the color match spray paint from Quadratec is nice for this kind of touch up. think typically ~$16 after shipping, but it's an exact match lacquer.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sellnotsale, do you have a pic you could post of what it looks like after you cut and hammered? I need to do this tomorrow and I am hoping I can see pics of what it looks like before I do it.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Sellnotsale, do you have a pic you could post of what it looks like after you cut and hammered? I need to do this tomorrow and I am hoping I can see pics of what it looks like before I do it.
I know you didn't ask me, but here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X41HsQrLu4g
Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you, that is extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Thank you, that is extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.
That's exactly what I did, looks like it came that way. Don't forget to trim the corner on the opposite side of the wheel well. I did mine but may go back and may fold it back a little like in the video in case I move up to 40s one day.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update: I put in one of the 1" stops and I cut the pinch seam and I'm still rubbing only on the passenger side and only at the bottom where the wheel well meets the bottom of the tub. Why would this only be happening on the passenger side?

Quick Reply: Pinch seam trimming