Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinch Seem vs Rock Sliders

Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pinch Seem vs Rock Sliders

I've got some rock sliders i've been trying to properly install that i'm ready to make another go at it.

I started out with the install and they didn't lineup very easily.... so much so that the metric grade 8 (standard grade 5 hardness) were breaking off on the install.

I decided that it was the bolts fault and bought the same size in grade 12 (standard 8) but broke the first one off on the install.

I'm not really sure whats the best way to proceed... i don't want to drill the holes out any bigger because i think i'd have trouble finding a washer that would be the right size and theres not alot of material under that pinch seem so i'm worried it might just flat out 'rip' out. Maybe try to find some shorter bolts? It seems like some of the problem is that the socket wrench is rubbing on the bottom of the frame and can't get up there high enough for the bolt to go in straight.

Has anyone else had problems with some slider installs? If so, any suggestions? Specifically these are some Rampage sliders (http://www.quadratec.com/products/12117_511_07.htm)
Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe some pics of what you are dealing with would help. There are some pretty sharp peeps on here (not me) that I'm sure can help but pics would definately help.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Ill work on some tomorrow with some light. I just know a friend of mine was complaining about rock sliders (which on most models seem to mount at some point to the pinch seem) being hard to mount.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, its been raining the past 3 days in Kansas, which is kinda odd for this time of the year (though I’m not complaining about the unseasonably cool 70 degree weather) and I haven’t been able to get a good pic.

However, I did get a pic of what I’m talking about right from the Rampage install instructions.

I’m having two main problems, first is the sliders won’t line up with the holes in the pinch seem very easily. Second, when they do line up (sorta) I keep breaking off bolts because as the bolt threads in its gets a gradual curve in the bolt, banana’ing it out. I think this is caused by the bulkiness of my socket wrench not being able to get up high enough (blocked by the bottom of the body) to be 90 degrees with the bolt… but I’m not sure.

The immediate solution (as with most of my problem installs) is to redrill the holes… the problem is that there’s under an inch of material underneath these holes and I’m worried it will be too thin and rip out first sign of danger. And the tiny bolts also would have trouble finding anything for the head to grip onto if I go any bigger… Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sliders.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	27729  

Quick Reply: Pinch Seem vs Rock Sliders