Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dipping Rims this weekend. Have a few questions...

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Plasti-Dipping Rims this weekend. Have a few questions...

Hoping this is the right place to post these questions...

I looked up prior threads but still had a few questions....

On average how long does it take to complete doing all 5 rims?

What problems have you ran into?

Any downsides to doing this?

Did you do the lugnuts as well?

I am hoping its a nice weekend and I do this project this weekend.

How do you wash the rims when they are done? Any special products?

How long did it last before they peeled?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its easy to do. I did it with them still on the vehicle. Just make sure you use at least 5 coats and clean the wheels beforehand. If I could do it over again, I would have sprayed the entire wheel and tire. I just did the wheel and it made it difficult to peel the overspray from the tires. After a day of driving and seeing the leftover plastidip (that i couldnt peel off by hand) on the tires, and i got a junk rag out and scrubbed the rest of it off. Makes a huge difference in the look of the vehicle. I did it to take away some of that "HELLO I'M BRAND NEW JEEP" look.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did my wheels and hinges.

To answer your questions

it took about 4 and a half cans

the thicker you put it on the easier it is to pull off (i put on about 5 coats)

Its very very easy to put on.

I did not to the lug nuts or center caps. I figured i would mess up the finish re-installing them

I waited about 10-15 min between coats and gave it a few hours before trying to re-install them

the only problem i ran into was applying it to one of the too thick and got a run in it. I waited until it was dry and peeled it off. Easy.

It WILL look textured when you are applying it but it smoothes out between coats nicely.

I wash them with my regular car wash and a sponge.

I hear it will last about a year. I have had mine for about 6 months and have abused them and they are holding up great.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use denatured alcohol to clean them first. That'll help it stick. I used 3 1/2 cans for 5 wheels, only did 2-3 coats, and used playing cards wedged btwn the tire & rim (before I was informed the stuff would peel off the rubber easily). I did spray my lugnuts, but used a toothpick to score around it so the dip wouldn't peel off on my next tire rotation. Been a couple months and still holding up. Power washer didn't do any damage whatsoever.

The day I did it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3176402869.jpg
Views:	2147
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	329226

Name:	image-1838968525.jpg
Views:	2084
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	329225

3-4 months after dipped:

Name:	image-1069421518.jpg
Views:	2853
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	329227

Btw, only took me about an hour total to do all 5 wheels. I did my spare first, then both drivers side at same time, then passenger. Some people don't care about overspray, but I shoved paper towels behind the wheel to protect the brakes & rotor from getting gunked up.

Last edited by TURTLECON; 06-14-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

NICE! I'll be doing this as soon as my wheel spacers come in! Might as well do everything at once!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bowerss2
I did my wheels and hinges.

To answer your questions

it took about 4 and a half cans

the thicker you put it on the easier it is to pull off (i put on about 5 coats)

Its very very easy to put on.

I did not to the lug nuts or center caps. I figured i would mess up the finish re-installing them

I waited about 10-15 min between coats and gave it a few hours before trying to re-install them

the only problem i ran into was applying it to one of the too thick and got a run in it. I waited until it was dry and peeled it off. Easy.

It WILL look textured when you are applying it but it smoothes out between coats nicely.

I wash them with my regular car wash and a sponge.

I hear it will last about a year. I have had mine for about 6 months and have abused them and they are holding up great.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I am ready to give this a go this weekend. Did you take your tires off or spray while they were still on?
Can't afford new rims/tires right now and looking for a different look for mine. This sounds like a super easy cheap mod and looks great!

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Use denatured alcohol to clean them first. That'll help it stick. I used 3 1/2 cans for 5 wheels, only did 2-3 coats, and used playing cards wedged btwn the tire & rim (before I was informed the stuff would peel off the rubber easily). I did spray my lugnuts, but used a toothpick to score around it so the dip wouldn't peel off on my next tire rotation. Been a couple months and still holding up. Power washer didn't do any damage whatsoever.

The day I did it:
Attachment 329226
Attachment 329225

3-4 months after dipped:
Attachment 329227

Btw, only took me about an hour total to do all 5 wheels. I did my spare first, then both drivers side at same time, then passenger. Some people don't care about overspray, but I shoved paper towels behind the wheel to protect the brakes & rotor from getting gunked up.
Did you take off the rims of keep them on when doing the spray?

And thank you BOTH for posting pictures. Kind of sealed the deal for me.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats what SHE said...

Originally Posted by BigRedJK

The day I did it:
Attachment 329226
Attachment 329225

3-4 months after dipped:
Attachment 329227

I use newspaper in those situations
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats what SHE said...

Originally Posted by AcidRaiN
NICE! I'll be doing this as soon as my wheel spacers come in! Might as well do everything at once!
Ebay snorkel, bedlined wheels/hinges, and SPACERS... hucentric or not is the Q: RC or ST?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin

Ebay snorkel, bedlined wheels/hinges, and SPACERS... hucentric or not is the Q: RC or ST?
Go for the RC. They work great, and I actually like the silver more than colored. They haven't loosened any, no wobble, nothing irregular. Been great.

I am really wanting to get the snorkel, but have a CO trip maybe planned in a month. Gas to party in CO or snorkel?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

As to the wheel painting: i used bedliner. Same process.

I cleaned good, then sanded down, cleaned again, then wiped down with Mineral Spirits.

Once it evaporated, I sprayed a coat of Self Etching primer since I had a can laying around.

Then did 3 coats.

Held up perfectly. Also did my lugnuts. They held up great the first 10 times I removed them, but as soon as i got sloppy with the 4-way it'd slip and chip the edges shiny again.

I also did my hinges, didn't sand or primer them. And my key hole too since i'm doorless mostly or key fob to unlock.

MORE pics in my album of the whole process and all the stuff I used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1443490194.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	329257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1265086693.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	329258   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2242406277.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	329259  

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dipping Rims this weekend. Have a few questions...