Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue

Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Grip-

Right, who wants to pull out sheet metal because the manufacturer didn't do a good quality assurance inspection? The real "pros" are the manufacturers that don't put out shit quality that doesn't fit. The best customer service is the one you never need to use. Do a poll and see how many people have had issues with something like the Nemesis flares. There's no need to put somebody down because they're not interested in tearing up sheet metal over a poorly fit product.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

LOL, I think SoK66 is plenty experienced with this, and has legit concerns. I've installed enough nutserts myself that I'd have concerns about that too. I don't think there's any way you're closing that gap by pulling the metal via a pos nutsert. You're just gonna yank that nutsert out just like you're worried about doing IMO.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=karls10jk;4342136]Grip-

Do a poll and see how many people have had issues with something like the Nemesis flares.

I'm hoping this is a positive poll, because I went straight to paint with my Nemesis flares, no test fit. I've read nothing but good reviews on these fenders. I wouldn't install with that big of a gap.

Last edited by 2011oscarmike; 05-14-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=2011oscarmike;4342151]
Originally Posted by karls10jk
Grip-

Do a poll and see how many people have had issues with something like the Nemesis flares.

I'm hoping this is a positive poll, because I went straight to paint with my Nemesis flares, no test fit. I've read nothing but good reviews on these fenders. I wouldn't install with that big of a gap.
I did the same with powder coating my Nemesis flares and they fit perfectly. My friend has a perfectly valid concern. After paying a premium for the PSC flares he should expect they will fit and the manufacturer won't blow him off when they don't.
The following users liked this post:
GrumpyFinn (08-15-2022)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Honesty I would expect better fitting products from a company that more then likely has access to the SEMA drawings. (if you dont know what they are basically all the "major" auto brands have every part of the vehicles they build scanned in 3D and assembled into a drawing for aftermarket companys so they can build quality fitting parts without having to measure everything on their own. and its only like $300 a year for these companys to get access to them. So literally no excuse other then they dont care.)
The following users liked this post:
SoK66 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are concerned with rivnuts spinning, add some JB Weld to them when you install them. Giv it time to set up and it will prevent them from spinning. I had to do this with my PSC rocker protection. After drilling one out, I used JB Weld on the rest.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah... hard to see what that gap is in terms of measurement. I just installed aluminum PSC flares on my rig. There was a gap and, as GR1P said, when I tighten it down, the gap disappeared completely. I think the instructions also tell you to tight each bolt a part of the way and rotate to another one. Basically, get all of them started. Then tight a bit and move to the next, tighten a bit. Then start at the first one again.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Yep, seems the flare should bend to fit to the sheet metal and not the other way around. I think I would do like Jedg suggested and the 1st sign of sheet metal bending contact PSC and send them back.

I guess this explains one of the reasons aluminum flares are a good idea. Much rather bend/damage flares than the sheet metal.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave it to a newbie to resurrect an old thread, but it seems appropriate to post here rather than start new. I am currently having the same issue, I bolted everything up including the supplied brackets, and I have the same gap in the same location. I was told by Poison Spyder earlier today that "This is normal we have to have tolerances for it to adapt to every Jeep that’s out there. This is not a manufacturing issue this is exactly the way it was designed." Considering that against the advertisement on their website (and others that sell these flares) that states: "Poison Spyder's Aluminum Rear Crusher Flares™ for JK are precision-fabricated replacements..."

I'm rethinking my PSC purchase, so I wanted to share if anyone else is on the fence...

Last edited by PNWjeep; 03-10-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-11-2020, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWjeep

Leave it to a newbie to resurrect an old thread, but it seems appropriate to post here rather than start new. I am currently having the same issue, I bolted everything up including the supplied brackets, and I have the same gap in the same location. I was told by Poison Spyder earlier today that "This is normal we have to have tolerances for it to adapt to every Jeep that’s out there. This is not a manufacturing issue this is exactly the way it was designed." Considering that against the advertisement on their website (and others that sell these flares) that states: "Poison Spyder's Aluminum Rear Crusher Flares™ for JK are precision-fabricated replacements..."

I'm rethinking my PSC purchase, so I wanted to share if anyone else is on the fence...
Interesting that with PSC's reputation this issue exists in the first place, and that they haven't corrected it by now and are apparently using bullshit to explain their way around the issue. My friend has never installed his PSC flares. And for whoever posted "find an installer with balls", you'd probably fit right in with Wayalife or Pirate.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue