Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison Spyder Rock Brawler lite skid plate install

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKChic
Thank you all so much for the replies! I wonder why PSC just doesn't change their design so we don't have to modify our original Jeep, but what do I know? The bumpers on my Jeep are worth more than some complete cars out there on the road with the price, powder coating and then installation, haha.

Not sure if I'll just remove the whole thing or cut it just yet. Like I said, I'm kinda on my own for this sort of stuff so will probably have to pay someone to do it all.

PS-- when I was installing my new fog lights yesterday I noticed they chipped a little pain off the front of my Jeep, right where the front of the bumper meets just under the grille---probably when they were installing the front bumper. F*$k!!
Where in CA do you live? There's more than enough of us that are always willing to help all around the state.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I've prepared to install my Crawler Conceptz front skid, my research has shown Jeep made subtle changes to the crash bar design at least twice. On my 2009, there's nothing hanging below the crash bar, so trimming shouldn't be necessary. I'm not exactly clear on when the changes were made, so I can't speak to your specific year.

Suffice it to say, if the crash bar is flat all the way across, with nothing hanging down at the ends, you'll be fine. You'll definitely want a second set of hands to help with the install, though, unless you do as some have suggested and install the bumper and skid as a single unit.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
or you cant get to all the bolts that hold it up ! and yes some things need to be cut off to make the whole thing fit. . but thats minor cutting (but still a pain ) but not whole crash bar needs to be removed. just tabs and things in the way. description said no cutting was needed , but not true. Get help . its not really a one person task unless you set up some sort of rest at bumper height to prevent having to handle the whole bumper & skid combo. plus your fog lights will need to be disconnected at that time to allow removal of the bumper. unless things were already cut off during the bumper install . its worth it to have skid plate on there though . It covers your disco motor too and protects it if its a rubicon. (while you have it off, add a short piece of rubber tubing to your coolant drain valve to prevent future hassle)

Thank you for this info,it's very very helpful!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tgoss
Where in CA do you live? There's more than enough of us that are always willing to help all around the state.

tgoss--I live in the IE. I see you're in SD, I know the place well (grew up there!). If anyone feels like helping, I would be forever grateful! I'll even spring for lunch and/or beers!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
As I've prepared to install my Crawler Conceptz front skid, my research has shown Jeep made subtle changes to the crash bar design at least twice. On my 2009, there's nothing hanging below the crash bar, so trimming shouldn't be necessary. I'm not exactly clear on when the changes were made, so I can't speak to your specific year.

Suffice it to say, if the crash bar is flat all the way across, with nothing hanging down at the ends, you'll be fine. You'll definitely want a second set of hands to help with the install, though, unless you do as some have suggested and install the bumper and skid as a single unit.

Good luck!

That's very interesting to know. Now I'm gonna have to go out to the garage just to see if my crash bar is flush on the bottom or not! Thank you!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Welcome to the group JKChic

Thank you Gman!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default if you drive it by

we can look at it and decide the best way to tackle it lol *
its only 3000 miles what the heck!
seriously though thers not a lot to it . SOME ONE HELP HER !!!!!
it might take a hour of someones time
and help a jeep member

ps The bumper will need to be taken off with out a doubt and just the tabs on both sides of crash bar need to be lopped off , the skid plate will sit pretty much flush up to the bottom of crash bar 1/8 of clearance at most and with the crash bar Not hacked off. You will bolt the skid with lots of bolts to the bumper then put it back as one piece . Otherwise you wouldnt get to some of those bolts

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-24-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWolf

Good luck!
I installed my Crawler Conceptz bumper and lower skid on my '15 with no trimming necessary. Do bolt the lower skid to the bumper before installing it though.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Rock Brawler lite skid plate install