Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibility of somehow moving the back seat further back to gain more leg room???

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibility of somehow moving the back seat further back to gain more leg room???

With the driver and pass seat all the way back, there is hardly any room for our toddler and baby carseats in our unlimited... I have looked at the mounting assy of the back seat and dont think its possible, however, i thought i should ask the brillant minds of my fellow Jeep enthusists.

Click image for larger version

Name:	legroom.jpg
Views:	7974
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	315785

While the kids are in carseats, i dont care about the seat folding down. I want to figure out how to move the seat back 2+ inches into the rear cargo area.

What do ya guys think, anybody else notice this dilemma?

Thanks to my 2 1/2 yr old Josslyn for modeling for me!
Thanks for any input!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Subscribed to this one. If anyone figured out how to make this work a how to thread is a must.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know that where the rear seat is mounted its already pushed into the steal tub as far as it goes. But the wall slants backwards as it goes up. You could weld or bolt a "spacer" to the floor high enough for the seat to move the necessary distance backwards if you don't mind having your back seats being a few inches taller.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by speedy64vw
With the driver and pass seat all the way back, there is hardly any room for our toddler and baby carseats in our unlimited... I have looked at the mounting assy of the back seat and dont think its possible, however, i thought i should ask the brillant minds of my fellow Jeep enthusists.

Attachment 315785

While the kids are in carseats, i dont care about the seat folding down. I want to figure out how to move the seat back 2+ inches into the rear cargo area.

What do ya guys think, anybody else notice this dilemma?

Thanks to my 2 1/2 yr old Josslyn for modeling for me!
Thanks for any input!

I'd be really concerned that moving the hardware welded to the floor wouldn't be connected as well if you tried to remove it and reattach it further back...

Adding new hardware to attach the seat to would pose the same concern

Is this a two door or four door?

Matthew
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

I was thinking about this the other day. I have this exact problem with my son. Right now i have his seat sitting dead center. I saw that Teraflex makes brackets to mount a 3rd row seat and was wondering if they could be used somehow. When I get some time off I'm going to hook up with my buddy who has a fab shop and make this work. Only downside I see is it will be harder to load/unload the kiddos. Which is a downside for me because I have baby number 2 on the way!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4 door and i saw how everything is mounted, but wondering if the seat could be pushed back on the mounting system? looking forward to seeing what people fab up and how it all turns out.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

with out a lot of fab work and trial and error it isn't going to happen. I would have been easier i think if your rear seat wasnt split. The Teraflex third row seat brackets would be and option for you it you wanted to fold down the seats and mount the third row as far forward as you could but that may be a little to far back for you then.

Quick Reply: Possibility of somehow moving the back seat further back to gain more leg room???