Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bent axle shaft - Looking for replacement recommendations

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent axle shaft - Looking for replacement recommendations

I have a 2016 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic with 37x13.50x20 tires and a Sprintex Supercharger. I have noticed a squeak in the passenger rear wheel area when I apply the brakes slightly. Applying the brakes hard makes the squeak go away. I have also noticed that I will hear the squeak when I take a right hand turn without the brakes applied. I jacked up the rear of the Jeep so the rear wheels hang freely and put the Jeep in drive; and I can see the passenger rear wheel wobble very slightly. After doing some research here on the forum I came to the conclusion that I have a bent axle shaft on the passenger side.

I'm looking for recommendations on what axles to replace my factory ones with? I've noticed there are different spline choices; is there a way to find out how many splines I have without taking the shaft out and counting them? I don't believe that I want to go back with stock axles because I am on 37's with a supercharger but I also don't want to break the bank because I don't wheel this Jeep.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The spline count on your rear factory rubi shafts is 32. You really need to go chromoly with replacement, and unfortunately that is going to cost you regardless of if you wheel it or not. The flange on the factory shaft just isn't going to hold up to those tires....as you've seen. Nitro and Ten Factory are both quality brands. Unless you can press on bearings yourself, I'd order something that has everything pressed on and is ready for install. You pay a little more that way, but it's worth the convenience for a lot of folks.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
The spline count on your rear factory rubi shafts is 32. You really need to go chromoly with replacement, and unfortunately that is going to cost you regardless of if you wheel it or not. The flange on the factory shaft just isn't going to hold up to those tires....as you've seen. Nitro and Ten Factory are both quality brands. Unless you can press on bearings yourself, I'd order something that has everything pressed on and is ready for install. You pay a little more that way, but it's worth the convenience for a lot of folks.
Thanks for the info. What about the lengths? I've noticed some are equal and some are not.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

edited -

Apparently TenFactories product info is incorrect? This is what it shows for rubicon 32spline rear shafts.

Dana 44
Performance Complete Rear Axle Kit
Axle Length 32.5"
5 x 5 And 5 x 5.5 Lug Pattern
32 Spline
Includes Left And Right Axles, ABS Rings, Bearings, Seals And Wheel Studs
4140 Chromoly

And non-rubicon 30 spline rear
Dana 44
Performance Complete Rear Axle Kit
Axle Length 31.10"/32.50"
5 x 5 And 5 x 5.5 Lug Pattern
30 Spline
Includes Left And Right Axles, ABS Rings, Bearings, Seals And Wheel Studs
4140 Chromoly
Excludes Rubicon And Unlimited Rubicon
Wasn't even thinking when I originally posted. I've got my stock 30 spline rear shafts standing in a corner of the storage unit, and yeah, they're the same length.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O||||||O
Thanks for the info. What about the lengths? I've noticed some are equal and some are not.
On the Rubicon the rear shafts are different lengths because of the locker.

Order accordingly 👍
Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You have a rubicon. So look for a 'rubicon' indication in the description, as well as the spline counts. (30 spline front inner, 32spline front outer, 32 spline rear). For TenFactory, on their website enter your vehicle info on the left side, indicate that it is rubicon, go to rear axle shafts, and there is only one selection. MG22157 The non-rubicon rear shafts will show 30 spline, and two unequal lengths. (31.10", 32.50") Just noticed the non-rubicon 35spline rear shafts are both 32.5"? Hmm.
The rubicon shafts are unequal lengths and the non-rubicon are equal lengths
Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I went with the Ten Factory chromoly shafts in the rear. Very easy install. I had Northridge press the bearings on for an easy swap. Have you checked to make sure your passenger side e brake is adjusted correctly just to rule it out? I had squeaking on one side and turns out I didn't adjust the e brake when installing my ProGrip brakes. Just a heads up.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I went with the Ten Factory chromoly shafts in the rear. Very easy install. I had Northridge press the bearings on for an easy swap. Have you checked to make sure your passenger side e brake is adjusted correctly just to rule it out? I had squeaking on one side and turns out I didn't adjust the e brake when installing my ProGrip brakes. Just a heads up.
I have not checked the e-brake yet. I'm also going to check the condition on the wheel itself before ordering axles. I believe I've decided on the Nitro axle set from Northridge, but I want to rule everything else out first.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I don't disagree with at least checking the e-brake, but with 37s and factory shafts, and a supercharger....it's just a matter of time till a bent flange if it hasn't already happened, so just be prepared.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

I ended up going with a set from Ten Factory and had Northridge assemble them before shipment. Install was a breeze once I figured out what I was doing (never done this before). Getting the old axles out was a little harder than I expected since I didn't have a slide hammer. But the squeaking is gone so I'm satisfied

Quick Reply: Possible bent axle shaft - Looking for replacement recommendations