Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powder coat coming off?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powder coat coming off?

Ia anyone else having these issues? The powder coat is flaking off my rock slider big time and off my front bumper ( warn ) so i took the jeep to the shop that installed the bumper told me to go to the manufacturer who basically said we don't cover powder coating. WTF it is a major part of the manufacturing of the part. So once again customer service is becoming an issue. LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL VENDORS IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT US WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE THEN WE WON'T BUY YOU STUFF. I will report more when and if I get to the bottom of this stuff. but right now I am PO i don't have the time to be running around back and forth .

anyone else have powder coating issues? It is occurring at random places not where rocks and stuff have been kicked up
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Happened to me to

I had a winch plate on my TJ and the powder coat came off in a huge flake like paper out of a magazine. Thats crappy quality control on their prep and you have a right to be upset but you are probably out of luck. Might as well go to a local shop to have it redone.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, had it with my ARB bumper which after 2 years started to show all kinds of rust and powder coating issues. Will be replaced today under warranty after light pressure... It appears to me that ARB is reading this forum, I hope for you that Warn is too ;-)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When powder coat comes of like that it is normally do to improper preparation of the metal before the coating process. Good luck and I don’t think that a post or two will make the customer service people change their attitude. Either their good or not. And if they are not they won’t care what you say anyway.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

My olympic front bumper chipped and is now rusting. Sucks. I contacted them about it and they said they'd powdercoat it again for me.............. If I would pay for shipping there and back Yeah right dude I could buy a whole new bumper for shipping that heavy ass thing from Alabama to California
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Junkie

dont waste your money getting it re powder coated...look into bed liner. i support speedliner but some people like line-x. great stuff and is warrantied and never rusts thru even tho it is warrantied
Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

rattle can...$3 works so well!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drphil
rattle can...$3 works so well!
X2 :Thumbsup:
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I *hate* powder coating. It always flakes off, it can not adhere to sharp edges, it scratches and chips too easily.

I will say that my Shrockworks front bumper has held up better than others, but it shill is flaking after only a couple years.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

I am having the same problem with my EVO corner guards. After a few short weeks my powder coat is flaking right off and rust is beginning to appear.

Quick Reply: powder coat coming off?