Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering advice for cold climate

Old 01-25-2018, 11:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering advice for cold climate

Top gear box is old Bottom gear box is new

So I finally bought and upgraded PSC Big bore XD last summer because I keep blowing the seals on the OEM’s because of the cold temperatures of -40. Everytime i turn on my Jeep in cold weather I hear that horried squealing sound from the belt trying to turn or the gear box trying to push the oil threw. So this new box wasn’t any different, cold weather blows a seal but luckily PSC warrentied it and sends me this bigger one👍🏻😃PERFECT! But I can’t have this happening again.
How should I attack this issue so it don’t happen again? Different oil? Buying a pump kit? Or just don’t run my Jeep in the winter😖 In dire need of good help

thanks
Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you asked PSC's customer service what they would recommend? I would have to guess that they've been through this before and would have better insight than the majority of us. We are in NY but don't see temperatures that are quite that cold, so we haven't had the same problems with our PSC boxes...

Adam C
The following users liked this post:
Gator1387 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoided asking them at the time I was getting the gear box warrentied because they wouldn’t off warrentied it in the first place since the cold damaged it and wasn’t a failure in the gear box it self. They never asked why it leaked .... but I will call back and ask them

thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gator1387
I avoided asking them at the time I was getting the gear box warrentied because they wouldn’t off warrentied it in the first place since the cold damaged it and wasn’t a failure in the gear box it self. They never asked why it leaked .... but I will call back and ask them

thank you

Fair enough, LOL....

Adam C
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the psc setup and it sees cold temps in my area down to -30c-40c. been running amsoil power steering fluid which has a pour point down to -50c. i havent had any issues. i also have a small magnetic heater that ive placed on top of the ps pump a few hours before driving and it completely gets rid of the horrid sound on startup. heres the heater i use:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kats-engine-heaters-magnetic-heater-200w

no problems with it all other than the cylinder seal hardens aroumd -20c and a bit of fluid starts to leak out.

if ur using the swepco fluid toss it. its only good to -20c.

cheers
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor

That guy knows what's up.

Adam C

Quick Reply: Power steering advice for cold climate