Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstop brakes

Old 06-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've got the z36 rears and they'll lock up the stock wheels but bring my 35's to a stop like the factory system with factory tires. The front has also been upgraded to hawk pads and raybestos (high dollar) rotors. I don't recommend hawk due to the dust but the z36 in the rear doesn't seem to put off anymore dust than stock rears.
Interesting. I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to figure out what my aftermarket replacement options were for my Mopar BBK front pads. At 1st it was difficult being certain which aftermarket pads were the correct ones, since the Mopar pads are OEM but wasn't 100% sure which year, vehicle, etc to use as a reference when looking for replacements while looking up pads, since I could no longer just select 2009 JK Wrangler 3.8L. I knew the Mopar pads were used on a Ram 1500, Durango and Aspen but what I ran into, is that with all the different engine, model years, and trim options, that tended to throw a monkey wrench into the equation in being certain I was looking at the correct pads.

Anyways, I finally figured all that out and put together a part number cross reference document. I originally wanted to try out the EBC Extra Duty pads, but once I figured out the correct part number and found out they where $175-$200 for a set of front pads I said..."meh..maybe not." So I narrowed my selection down to the either the Power Stop Z36's, Bosch Severe Duty or potentially the PS Z23s. The Bosch Severe Duty are supposed to be a blend of a semi metallic and a Ceramic material. Does anyone have any experience with the Bosch Severe Duty pads, and which would you chose the Power Stop Z36s or the Bosch? They both seem to have positive reviews, so it may just be a coin flip.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-15-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be in the same boat, trying to figure this out.

The Dynatrac Pro Grips are the bench mark, however at $1,400 a little outside my budget at present.

For those running the Power Stop Z36, any issues with drilled and slotted rotors collecting mud, sand, road salt ect? There seems to be two schools of though on rotors for our Jeeps....

I also looked at the Power Stop OEM equivalents with solid rotors, pads included for all 4 corners is $225. Seems almost too good, when I compare the Mopar Sock Rotors and pads, just the rear is about $480.

Are Power Stop quality OK, or is it just a case of Mopar madness mark up?

Prices above are Canadian funds, and my Jeep is a 16' JKR, 2.5" lift, 35"s
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by webejeepin
The Dynatrac Pro Grips are the bench mark, however at $1,400 a little outside my budget at present.
Many may disagree with you in calling the Dynatrac the "bench mark". I certainly would. They're a good upgrade if you don't want to bleed brakes.....which isn't difficult. A good braking system upgrade would include upgrades to every component of the braking system which would include.
1. Master cylinder volume increase
2. Brake booster leverage increase
3. Front Brake hose diameter increase
4. Rear Brake hose diameter increase
5. Front Rotor size increase
6. Rear Rotor size increase
7. Front Caliper volume size increase
8. Rear Caliper volume size increase
9. Front pad coefficient of friction increase
10. Rear pad coefficient of friction increase.

Here's the areas the Pro Grip system upgrades. (4 out of 10)

Here's the items the Mopar BBK upgrades (6 out of 10)

10. Rear pad coefficient of friction increase

In my opinion, unless you went custom then this would be the bench mark combination currently available for the JK.

Mopar BBK, Pro Grip or Teraflex Rear BBK. This would then upgrade the following.(8 out of 10)
1. Master cylinder volume increase (Mopar)
2. Brake booster leverage increase(Mopar)
3. Front Brake hose diameter increase (Mopar)
5. Front Rotor size increase (Mopar)
6. Rear Rotor size increase (Dynatrac/Teraflex)
7. Front Caliper volume size increase (Mopar)
9. Front pad coefficient of friction increase (Mopar)
10. Rear pad coefficient of friction increase (Dynatrac)

If the Dynatrac Progrip is currently the bench mark, then I'll happily put my lower cost BBK upgrade up against it which covers the following upgrades at half the cost. (7 out of 10)
1. Master cylinder volume increase (Mopar)
2. Brake booster leverage increase (Mopar)
3. Front Brake hose diameter increase (Mopar)
5. Front Rotor size increase (Mopar)
7. Front Caliper volume size increase (Mopar dual piston)
9. Front pad coefficient of friction increase (Powerstop Z36)*This includes more pad surface area as well as pad material coefficient of friction increases. Progrip=pad material only.
10. Rear pad coefficient of friction increase (Powerstop Z36)

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-11-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rednroll,

This is a very impressive list that you've compiled. But you're focused components. Most people are really interested in the daily-driving performance and experience, which is what we focused on. And when it comes to overall braking performance, we're still on top.

A master cylinder volume increase is only needed if you change caliper volume. We did not. The benefit to our customers is that you do not need to bleed the brakes or pay someone else to do it. We're glad that you find this easy, but with the extra systems added to the braking system because of the advanced ABS and stability program, many people find bleeding the brakes to be much more difficult than on an older Jeep.

By retaining the factory calipers and focusing on friction material, larger diameter rotors and bracket rigidity, the Dynatrac ProGrip system delivers a better pedal feel -- ie; less travel required for the same or better braking performance.

We know what sets our brake system apart from the others, and none of our customers have expressed dissatisfaction. In fact, most of them can't believe the improvement in every day braking power that they get from our system.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
That was my only reason for going Teraflex. Don't know what the canadian exchange rate is, but around $640 US on amazon for front and rear TeraFlex rotors and brackets. (not the big brake version with calipers/booster, just bigger rotors similar to the dynatrac kit) They do not come with pads, so you source those yourself, but it is a decent savings for the improved braking.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Dynatrac, I agree your BBK is good for those not able to bleed brakes, never incenuated it wasn't a good kit, I actually stated it was a good kit for those not interested in bleeding brakes. Maybe I just got lucky bleeding my brakes for the 1st time I ever bled brakes using a $20 hand vacuum pump and watching a couple Youtube videos when installing my brakes. I do however highly question the current progrip system setting the bar and being a bench mark system. I do recall, you or some other Dynatrac rep discussing about a Progrip 2 system under development which was going to include larger calipers and a MC. It never seemed to come to market, but it says to me even DT sees the value added in those additional components. If you read my list of items then you would have seen an available bench mark system actually includes some of the Progrip components in addition to some additional available components from other vendors. That's not saying anything bad about the DT progrip system. Many of us install lift kits which includes components from multiple vendors which are more often than not perform at a higher level than a single kit supplied by a single vendor since it uses the best parts available to complete a kit as part of a suspension "system". I don't believe it's any different with a braking "system".

I don't believe you're trying to say that a Progrip system would not benefit and have increased braking power without an increased volume MC, calipers, larger brake booster and larger brake hoses and it would mean the system would not still be focused on improving daily driver performance . Pascals law would seem to disagree with you if you were.

As well, a Google search seems to reveal a Dynatrac blog in regards to a Progrip 2 system.
https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/new-dy...eep-wranglers/

It seems to align pretty well with including those additional components I outlined.

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
The new ProGrip II™ Brake System from Dynatrac™ gives owners of the 2007 and newer Jeep Wrangler (JK) exceptional braking performance with approximately twice the brake torque output of the stock system, while also improving brake-pedal feel and reducing pedal travel. The ProGrip II expands the Dynatrac brake system offerings for the Jeep JK, building on the success of the ProGrip which was introduced just a year ago. The Dynatrac ProGrip II Brake System is a complete 4-wheel system, engineered in conjunction with StopTech to deliver balanced braking for lifted Jeep Wranglers and significantly reduce nose-dive.

The system includes:
  • Light-weight 13.5-inch, two-piece front rotors= 5. Front Rotor size increase
  • 14.25-inch one-piece rear rotors that retain the integral parking brake system = 6. Rear Rotor size increase
  • 6-piston front and 4-piston rear brake calipers= 7. Front Caliper volume size increase and 8. Rear Caliper volume size increase as well as 9&10 can be thrown in since pad area would need to increase.
  • Forged caliper bodies engineered for minimal deflection during braking
  • Calipers are hard anodized and then painted for corrosion resistance
  • Precision pad control to minimize brake noise
  • Pistons sized for optimum brake performance in this application
  • High-temperature silicone dust boots keep dirt, grime and moisture away from the piston pressure seals
  • Unique front and rear brake pads for optimum friction performance 9. Front pad coefficient of friction increase and 10. Rear pad coefficient of friction increase.
  • Radial-mounted calipers make pad changes easy
  • New caliper brake lines and mounting hardware=3. Front Brake hose diameter increase and

That Progrip II system seems to check off (8 out of 10) of the boxes.

Add the necessary MC and Brake booster to go along with those 8 parts and Dynatrac would be the bench mark for everyone else to reach.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

I just ran across this on Youtube. It looks like Teraflex stepped up their BBK offerings. It seems they saw the value in upgrading those other components as well as listened to the customers in providing us the option to use aftermarket replacement brake pads.

Quick Reply: Powerstop brakes