Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping Steel PSC Fenders for Powder Coat w. Existing Rattle Can

Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prepping Steel PSC Fenders for Powder Coat w. Existing Rattle Can

So, this weekend I bought a 2012 JKUR in firecracker red! I'm looking to transfer many existing parts from my 07 Rubi to my new Jeep including the existing steel PSC fenders. The fenders were prepped and painted by me a few years ago, I used rattle can self etching primer and rattle can Rustoleum Pro Enamel https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-enamel-spray/ to coat them. Its held up really well except where I have laid on rocks and walls.

I want to get them powder coated Firecracker Red and will just touch them up with spray paint as necessary.

What is the simplest way (least labor intensive) to remove this coating and get back to bare metal? Would a plastic tub and a couple cans of acetone do the trick? Too many nooks and crannies to sand these down, its also too messy.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I'd say that any powder coating place is going to sand blast those regardless of if you take them in as/is, or try to prep them yourself. Media blasting should be included in the cost, so not worth your effort to prep them. My buddy sends a lot of jobs in for powder coating, and he's commented that it gets blasted even if it's brand new/bare metal already. Curious to see if any comments conflict.

**just my opinion, but as someone who has a lot of things PC'd, I find it hard to touch up just cuz the match is never very good. I do tend to like how people PC everything except just the outter tube portion on fender flares, painting that black, and making for much easier and perfect matching touch ups.

Last edited by resharp001; 09-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd say that any powder coating place is going to sand blast those regardless of if you take them in as/is, or try to prep them yourself. Media blasting should be included in the cost, so not worth your effort to prep them. My buddy sends a lot of jobs in for powder coating, and he's commented that it gets blasted even if it's brand new/bare metal already. Curious to see if any comments conflict.
Whoever is doing the coating is going to prep them so they know it's done right, and then they own it at the end of the day if there are any issues. If they relied on the customer to do the prep and there is an issue, it's still going to be bad for them as perception is everything. Easier to do the prep so they know it was done to what they need it to be.

Quick Reply: Prepping Steel PSC Fenders for Powder Coat w. Existing Rattle Can