Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prestaging for 37s

Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
Pentastar with 4.10's and a 4:1 transfer case...He'll be fine Look up the nitro sleeves. You can hammer them in yourself and its really not a bad install if you prep the tubes properly. Gussets are a must though, and you might as well swap the BJ's while you're at it.
Yes, do ball joints at the same time! You will save all of the labor of tearing down the brakes and hub assembly only once.

I have synergy HD ball joints and like them.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hammer in. I used a paint roller soaked in vinegar to remove the surface rust in the tubes, Clean the tube ends with a 2" round flap wheel and hammer them in with a generous coating of anti seize. They went it pretty easily with a 4LB hammer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	540507

I also made this tool with some 1.5" DOM and a cast plumbing fitting I had laying around. The cast piece was only there so I could build up a good weld which I than ground a flat edge on to use as a race driver. It would not have held up the repeated bashing otherwise.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKEmmert77
Eventually I will regear but the sleeves. Do you hammer them in or weld them in?
I hear ya. Gears are usally overlooked. One of the best things you can do for your jeep.
If you live near mountians its gonna suck a bit. Regardless of what motor you have. And the 4.1 is only gonna help in 4wd. If you have a manual it would be better also. The freaking autos suck with out gears done.
I would truss before I sleeved it. Ball joints and gussets at the same time.
I ran gussets on my dana 30 with 37 mud grapplers for a few years. Axle held up fine. Wheeled it fairly hard.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

My opinion is save your money on ball joints unless yours are already shot. The stock ones will last quit a while depending on wheeling habits. I also say save your money on the sleeves and get trusses. You spend a bit more if you can't weld but you will have an axle far superior to sleeves.

Sleeve it if you just cant afford to do anything else and you plan on installing them yourself.

something a lot of people don't think about is the order in which you do your installs. I am a novice welder and didn't want to attempt my gussets and sleeves. I can do axles but not gears so I got the gears, chromo axles, trusses gussets diff covers etc and took it all in at once. If you are going to do gears your going to pull diff covers and axles anyway so by doing the gears I got the diff covers and axles installed for free since there is no extra labor. If you pull your axles to install sleeves you just need to do it all over again later to install new axles and or gears.

Last edited by rsbmg; 03-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel

Pentastar with 4.10's and a 4:1 transfer case...He'll be fine
This is where I'm at and with the flashpaq it's totally fine. And I live in Colorado.

IMO I would add the flashpaq to the list, ball joints, c gussets and sleeves. I also chose to do 4 rear arms for axle orientation because I'm running on 2" ome springs. Lcg.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just looking to see what the reviews are on the stuff that's out there I have heard that synergy is good as well as evo. Open to look at more options.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here my take on everything:

Gussets are going to fit almost the same and will accomplish the exact same thing regardless of brand. Teraflex, ACE, EVO, Synergy, theyre all good.

I like nitro sleeves because they are made with the highest tolerances and have the tightest fit, they also allow for 35 spline shafts while all others will not.

I also have a pure jeep truss because it was the best option when I purchased, but the artec kit is definitely the most complete kit and is the best choice if you decide to truss it.

For ball joints, synergy is a great option, and the alloy usa's are almost identical at a much lower price point.

Last edited by D_engel; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

I think for peace of mind, a few upgrades on the front are worth it. My stock axle on 35's i felt was in decent shape. After doing everything the jeep, it is tight and drives beautifully. Just goes to show what you think might be ok, actually isnt.

My synergy sleeves needed a slight tap from a hammer to seat, thats a perfect fit. Being welded in is kind of pain but sometimes guys say its needed. Arguably.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

so i did a little more digging and found this. i feel good about it just dont know how much welding is gonna cost me to do it. is anyone running this set up and what are the thought about it? i just wanna do everything at once not in pieces. so if that means im waiting a little bit longer then so be it.

Artec JK Front Axle ARMOR KIT
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKEmmert77
so i did a little more digging and found this. i feel good about it just dont know how much welding is gonna cost me to do it. is anyone running this set up and what are the thought about it? i just wanna do everything at once not in pieces. so if that means im waiting a little bit longer then so be it. Artec JK Front Axle ARMOR KIT
I have friends who have the artec kit and it is really nice great quality kit. I'll be getting there truss front and rear. But there is quite a bit of welding to be done.

Quick Reply: Prestaging for 37s