Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProComp ES9000 vs Bilstein 5100s

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
The Bilsteins are firm, but will ride much better than what you have now and are better quality
FIRM???
I have the teraflex 3" lift with their 9550 shocks. I was told the Bilsteins would be an upgrade and I have heard the word firm also when describing the Bilsteins..... Can someone clear this up for me????
Can a shock like the Bilstein be firmer but still feel like a softer ride on the street compared to the teraflex 9550 where I still feel a lot of the bumps?? Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

FIRM???
I have the teraflex 3" lift with their 9550 shocks. I was told the Bilsteins would be an upgrade and I have heard the word firm also when describing the Bilsteins..... Can someone clear this up for me????
Can a shock like the Bilstein be firmer but still feel like a softer ride on the street compared to the teraflex 9550 where I still feel a lot of the bumps?? Thanks
The TF springs in general are firm. I went from the 9550's to bilsteins and they do ride better but there's only so much they can help with stiff coils.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd

The TF springs in general are firm. I went from the 9550's to bilsteins and they do ride better but there's only so much they can help with stiff coils.
Ok would you rush out to replace the 9550's with Bilsteins or live with it until they wear out?? Ok coils.... Anyone have any recomendations for a softer riding coil or do guys generally live with the choices they've made?? Thx again
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

Ok would you rush out to replace the 9550's with Bilsteins or live with it until they wear out?? Ok coils.... Anyone have any recomendations for a softer riding coil or do guys generally live with the choices they've made?? Thx again
I just realized you're the Canadian Steelers guy( Awesome).

I think step one would to be verify that your castor is in a good range. If that's good, then it's a toss up between new coils or shocks.

I've been waiting for reviews on the Evo plush ride 4" coils. Since they say the TF 3" springs measure more like 4" springs, it might be worth a swap.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd

I just realized you're the Canadian Steelers guy( Awesome).

I think step one would to be verify that your castor is in a good range. If that's good, then it's a toss up between new coils or shocks.

I've been waiting for reviews on the Evo plush ride 4" coils. Since they say the TF 3" springs measure more like 4" springs, it might be worth a swap.
Good to know thx again..... Yes love the Steelers.... so does the jeep lol
Been to Pittsburgh once.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1801017506.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	283121  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input! I guess I need to find a set of Bilsteins for my 4" lift. To be completely honest, I'd be lying if I said I knew what most of you are talking about. I don't know what the caster is, or adjustable control arms? I need to research a lot of things it looks like from the links you guys have provided. I greatly appreciate all the feed back! I will say... If long arms are the better correction at $300 compared to the $100 AEV fix, I'd rather spring the additional 200 for a better correction.

I don't think the jeep rides that bad, she just hates it and feels its lost any bit of smooth ride it used to have with a stock set up. I don't do any trail riding currently, though I wouldn't mind, I just want to restore a smooth ride and then continue to build from there without losing my 4" lift.

Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

What's your tire pressure set at?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll have to check my tire pressure tomorrow. I have the mountain edition rims and standard rubicon tires on it now.. what is the proper tire pressure for these tires?

Also, if i plan to upgrade to 35's do I have to re-gear? if so, how much does that run? I have the Unlimited Sport with a tow package, but i'm assuming the worst gears.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by delsol5
I'll have to check my tire pressure tomorrow. I have the mountain edition rims and standard rubicon tires on it now.. what is the proper tire pressure for these tires?

Also, if i plan to upgrade to 35's do I have to re-gear? if so, how much does that run? I have the Unlimited Sport with a tow package, but i'm assuming the worst gears.
Depends on your gearset now and what year your Sport is.

Take a gander at the 3.8L:

Or the 3.6 Pentastar:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

1. Go STEELERS!
2. Check tire pressure!
3. Word is the Bilsteins are the way to go!

Quick Reply: ProComp ES9000 vs Bilstein 5100s